Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Goodbye, Glow

My lovely Glow (avatar) has passed on to the big kelp field in the sky.
A fungal presenting disease is taking my bettas, one by one, dispite KanaPlex & the other meds.
I wonder who is next?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 
MistersMom

im so sorry, ihope the infection stops.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

Your fish is gorgeous!
Thank you for the condolences. If Mist goes, I'll freak. I wanted to breed her.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Oh no! Another one?

Have you used anything other than antibiotics? Ie: have you tried antfungals and antiparasiticals?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

I've tried Epsom salt treatments, Maracyn II, & Jungle Lifeguard.
Since the death of my 1st fish, I've been all over the board for the best cures. I've discovered that, once infected, there isn't much you can do.
I'm just waiting for Red & Shade to die. That leaves me w/ 3 girls (Spark, Mist & Tang) that are eating & look pretty good. (Butch is alone in a 10 gallon & lovin' it.)
I'm going to wait another 3-6 months b/f adding any more bettas, and than I will buy them from a BREEDER & no more petcosmart fish for me!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well..... Hopefully, this won't happen again, but if it does, you may want to treat with something stronger. Strong medications are harsh, but they may also be able to target specific organisms.

What you've used so far:
  • Epsom salt - can help expel internal parasites. (But other than that, it just reduces fluid retention)
  • Maracyn II - good gram negative antibiotic. But it's been around awhile, and a lot of organisms are resistant to it.
  • Jungle Lifeguard - contains "HaloShield" (1-chloro-2, 2, 5, 5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone). This is non-antibiotic, broad-spectrum oxidizing agent. (http://www.tetra.net/en/en/news/news...uard-interview)

If you want to try something more potent, you could look into, for example:
  • Kanaplex - good broad spectrum antibiotic. It's new, so bacteria isn't as resistant to it.
  • Parasitical medications - in case the issue is due to a parasite, rather than bacteria.

If you really want to hit the issue hard, you can even combine Kanaplex, Furan 2 and Seachem Paraguard together. (http://www.americanaquariumproducts....tml#treatment2
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Well..... Hopefully, this won't happen again, but if it does, you may want to treat with something stronger. Strong medications are harsh, but they may also be able to target specific organisms.

What you've used so far:
  • Epsom salt - can help expel internal parasites. (But other than that, it just reduces fluid retention)
  • Maracyn II - good gram negative antibiotic. But it's been around awhile, and a lot of organisms are resistant to it.
  • Jungle Lifeguard - contains "HaloShield" (1-chloro-2, 2, 5, 5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone). This is non-antibiotic, broad-spectrum oxidizing agent. (http://www.tetra.net/en/en/news/news...uard-interview)

If you want to try something more potent, you could look into, for example:
  • Kanaplex - good broad spectrum antibiotic. It's new, so bacteria isn't as resistant to it.
  • Parasitical medications - in case the issue is due to a parasite, rather than bacteria.

If you really want to hit the issue hard, you can even combine Kanaplex, Furan 2 and Seachem Paraguard together. (http://www.americanaquariumproducts....tml#treatment2
I have used Epsom salts, KanaPlex, Lifeguard, and Maracyn II. I still have plenty of every med on the planet (I think I have a picture of them on my page) but was told not to use a lot of them by the experts. Nothing worked.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #9 
Haleigh

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss and your troubles with this disease. I can't really offer any insightful advice, but I wish you all the luck with keeping the rest of your fish safe. SIP Glow. She was a beautiful fish.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #10 
BettaPrincess13

It's the worst to lose a fish. each one unique and unable to replace ): She's a beautiful fish. S.I.P Glow
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote