Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

Small plants, won't grow.

So, I have some live plants... I got them May 5th, and they haven't grown AT ALL. I have some Amazon Compacta, a Windelov Java Fern, some Anubias Nana, and a marimo ball. They don't look sick, but they haven't grown. When I do a water change, I add API water fertilizer. I only have rocks as substrate; would it make a difference if I changed to soil? Thanks!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some plants are slow growers & some plants will go into shock when put into a new tank. Do you have the proper lighting? All of my tanks have gravel substrate. I use Seachem ferts including root tabs. Some of my plants have gone crazy while others not so much, some plants grow better in one tank over another. I found that once I added the root tabs that helped.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #3 
gorillakev

All those plants you have are slow growers. The sword you should see a new leaf sprout up already, other than that it takes time for the others to grow.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Don't ad ferts with a water change. The dechlorinator actually ends up removing a lot of the things in the ferts. Ad ferts at least one day after a water change. You won't see a lot of growth with the Marimo, and the rest tend to grow slow for me except in really high light. Even more important than the ferts or even sub is lighting. What type are you using? The best to use is a 6500K color temp CFL, but anything in the 5000-8000 range should get you some growth by certain species of plants.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

The sword plant is probably going to be the fastest growing plant out of a group of fairly slow growers. However, if you don't have a nutrient rich substrate or use something like root tabs, its growth will also be quite slow. Swords are root feeders, and as such like to get most of their nutrients from the substrate. With only gravel, you are probably not going to get good growth.

If you want fast growing you need to look at stem plants or floating plants. However, they also tend to have the highest demand for lighting and nutrients, and if you don't provide them they will start to show deficiencies or die back.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #6 
crowntaillove3

I have a 40 watt light. Is it too high? And I need to get some root tabs...
Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

What is the kelvin rating? A light that is 40 watts but is something like 14000K is going to be useless for growing aquarium plants.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 
crowntaillove3

Um... I'm using a lamp. I know! I'm not supposed to... But the tank I'm using wasn't meant to be a tank. There isn't a lid. I don't know the kelvin level.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Lamps are fine, provided you have the right globe. I think people use compact fluorescent globes when they use lamps for their aquariums. A CFL with a kelvin rating of 6500 - 10000K should be able to grow the aquarium plants you have listed.

I am not very light savvy, so not sure on how you convert the old watts per gallon (really only applies to T8 globes) to a CFL. Maybe someone else can help with that.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #10 
jentralala
Reference Team

Just use a 6500k CFL bulb and that will give you the right light. I use them in clip on lamps and it works great.

API fertilizer isn't very good, I think it only has like 2 nutrients in it. Get Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement.

When you say rocks do you mean gravel or like river stones?

And I agree with everyone else; for the most part those plants are all slow growers.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote