Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #1 
samuraithebetta

Java fern questions!

So i have added some java fern to my betta's 2 gallon tank. This is my first time adding live plants to a tank, and my first time actually taking an interest in rescuing a betta. Please give me some advice and let me know if i have too much in his tank. I know 2 gallons is not the best, but it was all i could afford at this time. Whatever advice you can give is helpful <3
Attached Images

Last edited by samuraithebetta; 05-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
samuraithebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #2 
peachii

It looks good. bettas love live plants, they sit on and in them whenever they can fit.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 
samuraithebetta

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
It looks good. bettas love live plants, they sit on and in them whenever they can fit.
Awww thanks! As far as maintenance on java ferns do you know what I need to do they are pretty tall and the employees at petsmart were not helpful. Should they be cut if they go passed the water line? And how often should I change his tank with live plants present? Will water conditioner and stress coat still be needed?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 
fish keeper 2013

I don't believe you will have to worry about that for quite some while, java fern grows slow... If it does get to the surface you can let it grow out of the water (java fern can grow emersed). Or you could snip off the tallest leave with sissors. You can float the leaf in the water, when about to die java fern leaves will start to reproduce like crazy. It's as if the leaf is trying to go out with a bang.

Yes you still need to change water, how much really depends on if your tank Is cycled or not.

Yes, water conditioner is still nessecary, plants do nothing for chlorine and chloramines.

Oh yeah, from your picture it looks like the java ferns are buried in the gravel. Never bury the rhizome (the thick horizontal root that the roots and leaves grow from). This will cause the java fern to rot and die. The best solution would to be to tie the java fern to something, but you can get away with planting it if only the roots are in the gravel.

Good luck with your new plants!
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #5 
samuraithebetta

Question thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 View Post
I don't believe you will have to worry about that for quite some while, java fern grows slow... If it does get to the surface you can let it grow out of the water (java fern can grow emersed). Or you could snip off the tallest leave with sissors. You can float the leaf in the water, when about to die java fern leaves will start to reproduce like crazy. It's as if the leaf is trying to go out with a bang.

Yes you still need to change water, how much really depends on if your tank Is cycled or not.

Yes, water conditioner is still nessecary, plants do nothing for chlorine and chloramines.

Oh yeah, from your picture it looks like the java ferns are buried in the gravel. Never bury the rhizome (the thick horizontal root that the roots and leaves grow from). This will cause the java fern to rot and die. The best solution would to be to tie the java fern to something, but you can get away with planting it if only the roots are in the gravel.

Good luck with your new plants!
thank you soooo much!!! that information really was what i needed. see i wasnt planning on planting them, but the "kid" at petsmart said i "needed" to. the other fern is actually tied to the ornament i have in the tank so thats good. :D ill just take the other out of the gravel. thanks soooo much for the info, i was a littler skeptical on what he told me.

do you recommend using stress coat only when a fish is visibly ill, or as a preventative?

whats your favorite brand of water conditioner?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #6 
fish keeper 2013

I'm glad I could be a help :).

Stress coat is mainly a water conditioner, not really a medicine. It can be used to help injured fish, but that is not the only thing it has to be used as. I would use it as my regular conditioner.

Seachem prime, hands down. Does all the things your normal water conditioner does as well as detoxify ammonia and remove nitrites and nitrates. Not only that, but it is very concentrated, so a small bottle can last you a very long time.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #7 
samuraithebetta

So would you recommend just using seachem over the others? i read a lot of good things about using stress coat, the other conditioner i have is the tetra brand which i read is not that great.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #8 
wish4coner

I usually only use Prime. I love the fact that it lasts so long as, it does so much more than stress coat does. It's super concentrated so, what you would use in your water (I put mine in jugs, to age) is so minimal, the cost difference is amazing. Plus, for maintenance I have used it, in between water changes. I do water changes often so, I only really use it in the jugs of water, with IAL. I find both extremely cheap and helpful with your water. That's just my opinion but, along with making my own extract using IAL in boiling water, I am saving a ton of money this way.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #9 
Gallium

I use prime too. I'm on good well water so I don't actually need it, but I still use a half dose when I do water changes. When when I was on city water I swore by it, and still do.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote