Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #1 
twizzler1989

Fin rot help

I have two betta's, one male and one female, who live in separate one gallon fish bowls. I don't know how old they are exactly but I've had them since April of last year.

Anyways, late in the summer my female's fins started decay, but grew back after a water change. I'll admit, that time had been a while since I had changed the water. Now, several months later, she hardly has any fins at all, so she just floats at the top and occasionally spazzes out and darts around her bowl. I'm in college so I'm a tad limited as to what I can buy and do regarding her tank. However, for the past month of so, I've been treating her with Maracyns II or I that my boss in the biology department said I could have. She got better after a while, but is now back to having very little of her fins left.

Now my male seems to be developing it is as well, although his case doesn't seem as severe. He's also still eating, while the female didn't eat at all today. I change their water 1-2 times a week and give both a new dose of medicine each time I do.

I guess what I'm really asking, is if I'm right in my diagnosis since both of them now seem to have the same thing and is there a product that treats fin rot effectively that is in drop form or something easier to administer to a 1 gallon tank?

Any help would be appreciated.
~Nicole
twizzler1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Water in small bowls should be changed at least twice a week, which you are doing, so thats good. Finrot is usually caused by poor water conditions. I used Betta Fix for one of my fish with finrot and it worked pretty good. It is in drop form so it is easy to use. One forum member uses Fungus Clear, by Jungle Labs and she says it works good for her. For a gallon dosage, dissolve 1 tablet in 10 tablespoons of water.Add 1 tablespoon of concentrate mixture to 1 gallon of water. Wait 4 days before doing a second dosage. This dosage info came from Healthy Betta .com. I hope this info helps. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote