Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Unhappy Ugh... Parasites AGAIN?

So it looks like Tiny Tina has parasites. Just like Cass did. Poop is hanging out of her and looks fairly translucent and has kind of a white tip. Water temp is 27 degrees celsius. 5 gallon tank. Plastic plants, plastic pot. Feed her Omega One Betta Buffet. What the hell could we be doing wrong that every fish we get gets bloody parasites? At least I assume it's parasites since absorbing eggs gets them white/light poop, but parasites give the translucent poop. No change in behaviour yet. Just noticed it this morning. Should we start treatment with API General Cure and Epsom Salts like we did for Handsome Jack to get rid of his? Or should we wait and see if its just a random occurrence? I'm just bloody paranoid after losing my little Cass to parasite-induced-dropsy...
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Ammonia: 0 - 0.1
Ph: 7.0 - 7.5
Nitrites: 0 - 0.1
Nitrates: 0 - 0.1

Water is aerated, tanned, and conditioned. 50% -75% water change once per week. Sometimes syphon up poop and such in between water changes.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #3 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

She finally pinched off her poop but I can't find it in her tank to take a closer look at it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi, Noodle. Got your message. There is always a slight possibility that it could be eggy poo, which is what happens to females after they have egged up, especially if they've seen a male. The female either drops the eggs and then eats them or she just reabsorbs them into her body. Either way, the result can sometimes be a week of long slightly yellowish-white poo that just seems to go on forever. o.O

However, treating with General Cure won't harm her even if it's just eggy poo so in this case I'd say go ahead and start full treatment. If the whiteish poo continues but her behavior remains otherwise normal, it could be eggy poo.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #5 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Thanks Sakura. <3 Just wanted to make sure we had the right idea. Starting treatment. :)
Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #6 
logisticsguy

That is good advise from Sakura. Getting on top of a parasite problem early before they start causing organ failure is key.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parasites