Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #1 
xst3ph90x

Exclamation HELP!!! There's something wrong with my betta!!!

Today, I just noticed that near my betta (Sashimi's) eye, there is this weird spot. The pictures that I have are blurry, but hopefully someone can help me!
What is this!? I'm scared for him! He seems to be acting fine, he's eating and swimming and he's active. He's due for a water change tomorrow. But please! What is this?!

Also, recently, there's this weird stuff on the bottom of his tank. It just apppeared out of nowhere yesterday, and I'm wondering what it is. He doesn't seem bothered by it, and it doesn't seem to be harming him.

Please help my poor betta! I just got him and I'm trying to make him as happy as possible!
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #2 
radiobath

The white spot could be ich. And I'm very familiar with that white fuzzy stuff. Happened to my betta tank a lot. I don't know exactly what it is, but you definitely need to clean the water and the gravel more often. If you clean your tank regularly, it shouldn't do that.

Is your tank in direct sunlight? Do you test the water?
radiobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #3 
xst3ph90x

I don't test the water because like every college student out there... I'm broke and I can't afford a good water test kit.
No, my tank isn't in direct sunlight, but I DO have a bright desk light next to it...
Also, its a 1.5 gallon tank and I change 50% of the water 2 times a week. (I've only had him for about 2 weeks now).
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #4 
FlaNatural

In my opinion a 1.5 gallon is too small. With a tank that small you should probably be changing 100% and cleaning twice a week instead of 50 %. I recommend coming up with some extra change for a larger tank. Ideally, 5 gallons, but practically at least 2.5-3. This is much cheaper than a water test kit. After you get a larger tank, or start cleaning it more often, the white stuff shouldnt be there any more, and he possibly might be able to fight off the ich by himself if that is in fact what it is. If he still has it after one week, or it gets worse quick, then you gotta go to the petstore and buy ich treatment. Good luck
FlaNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5 
iamntbatman

In my opinion a good liquid test kit is an essential tool for any fishkeeper and isn't something you can really skimp on. Plus, if you order it online it will only run you about $15 and last a really long time. I also wouldn't recommend 100% water changes. They require that you catch the fish, move him to another container, and then acclimate him to completely new aquarium water. 50% changes are much less stressful. You could increase your water changes, but just add in another 50% change a week. Honestly I think even on a 1.5g tank two 50% changes a week should be fine once the tank is cycled, but you might want to do three a week until the tank is cycled. But then again...you can't ever be sure what your water parameters are without that test kit.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #6 
radiobath

In my 10 gal, I have a stick-on tester for temperature, ammonia, and pH. I didn't trust the pH level, so I picked up an API pH test kit. Really simple stuff, a bottle of the "dye" and a test tube. Put a few drops in, shake it, hold it up to the card, voila. The price? Well, I'm not too sure, the boyfriend got it as a gift because he hated my stick-on one, and threw out the receipt. BUT, let me put it to you this way: his idea of being generous is picking up the tip at McDonalds. :P

But if you look, a lot of the API stuff is on sale right now at Petco. Regardless of how badly these chain stores treat bettas, they do have supplies that are much needed.

Aquarium Water Testing Equipment at PETCO

I wouldn't do 100% changes either. Also, I heard that on another breeder's site, he saw the same stuff at the bottom of his tank, and it turned out to be dust, fish slime, and general waste. If you don't have a cover on your tank, that's probably it. To be on the safe side, I'd take out the gravel, wash it thoroughly with hot water, rinse it with a bit of diluted vinegar, suck up what you can with a DIY siphon, and keep the gravel out until you know you beat it away.

I agree with what FlaNatural says: a 1.5 is too small. However, a 2.5 is okay in my mind. Just know that the smaller the tank, the more work it requires to clean it up, especially if there are no filters and heaters.

Last edited by radiobath; 11-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.
radiobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #7 
xst3ph90x

thanks for the info!
Well... I would LOVE to get a 10 gallon tank and a divider and put both my bettas in there, but I don't have space in my dorm for anything bigger than what I have.
Also, I have my other betta in a 1 gallon tank with an air pump and an undergravel fliter, and this tank is 100% clean, and my betta in there has ALWAYS been healthy.
I'm not sure what to do, but I'm going to get the same tank that I have for my other betta for this one. I've had so much luck with the other tank.
I'm going to do that and see what happens
Old 11-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds like a good idea to me.Dorm rooms DO have a tendency to be rather small. Ha. I remember those days. You just have room for a few clothes and your books.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #9 
mad1

you could bring him to a fish store too, but that could stress him out, but you can bring a water sample and almost any fish store will test your water for free if your broke

Last edited by mad1; 11-16-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: put 2 of the same things
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #10 
mad1

aw poor betta
i cant see the spot very well but you should search the internet for fish diseases and see if there is a picture that matches. There are usually otc medications that you can but. There are 2 diseases called white spot and ick that you should look at.
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote