Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

Does it look like they are eating the food? Do the fish look like they are doing ok? I'd just leave the feeders in there. Its better than letting them go hungry.I can certainly understand being broke. I don't test the water in my little 1 gallon containers and my fish are ok. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #22 
mad1

eithergice your friend keys and have them feed your fish or you could get a flake feed timer or one of those slow disolving pyramids food things
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #23 
xst3ph90x

Dramaqueen... I have a one gallon and I don't test the water either, my fish has always been fine, so I'm not really concerned, I DO have a thermometer though.

I can't give my friend a key, I live in a dorm and everyone is going home, not just me.

I guess I'm going to leave the feeders in there, and I'll do a water change when I get back...

Ok, so here's ANOTHER problem, I have a live plant in my betta's tank, and while I'm gone I can't leave the tank plugged in, meaning I can have the tank light on. What do I do with the plant? Is it going to die?
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #24 
Little-Fizz

The plant would probably be pretty damaged but should recover... What do you mean you can't leave the tank plugged in? Is there a heater? If batman said the feeders worked well for him then I would trust it. Only use like half of the feeder block or something. Then when you come home do a big water change.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cann gel feeders be split in half?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #26 
Little-Fizz

.... To be honest... I don't know? Hah I assumed they were like regular vacation feeders and could be split? I imagine if fish could eat the block then it would have to be soft enough to cut?

I just looked gel feeders up and they are supposed to be pretty good for not polluting your water. I can't say I have experience with them though.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea what they even look like because I've never used them before.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #28 
xst3ph90x

Hey! Yeah, they can be split in half and that's what I did because one feeder is supposed to feed like 5 fish in a 10 gallon tank, and I only have 2 bettas (in their own tanks).

When we leave campus, we have to unplug everything because no one is going to be here and it is a fire hazard to keep everything plugged in, no I don't have a heater because its like rediculously warm in the dorms (like 80 degrees), so the water can't be much cooler. I DO have a thermometer for one of the tanks and it says that it's 78 degrees, perfect temp for bettas.

I have a tank with a light an air pump and an under gravel filter, I'm kind of worried about turning off the filter, but it should be ok as long as I do a wtaer change when I get back.

My bettas don't seem to mind the foggy water, so I think I'll leave it the way it is and just change the water when I get back.

I hope the plant doesn't die when I'm away because I won't have the filter on and the water is going to get even grosser if it dies.
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #29 
Little-Fizz

The plant might help filter the water... You do know that once you come back it will be like starting all over again right? Any beneficial bacteria in your filter will be dead and you'll have mini cycles.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think they'll be fine. They won't go hungry and will be warm enough. Have a good Thanksgiving break!