Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Curious about your opinions on this tank...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018CFMYS

Its the tetra 1.5 gallon cube. I know it doesn't come with everything you need, but what do you all think of the tank itself for a betta? I'm just curious about what people think of it. Does it look like sufficient space and all that? Personally I think it would be okay granted the needed water changes are made (50% & 100% per week for non cycled), but I don't think I would go smaller than that...even if just for space's sake for swimming. So let me know. Btw I haven't been on here much and I miss you all!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 
Briz

Personally, I loved mine for my Betta until I moved him to a dividied 10 gallon setup.

Some people think the filter is too strong, but it wasn't for my guy. He made bubble nests often in his cube. I actually had a large barrel decoration in the center that provided a cave area and might have helped break up the flow some.

The LED lights are nice. You might consider covering a few of the holes in the lid since Bettas jump, I used clear tape to do that.

I used a Aqueon Mini heater to heat the water, but I had to monitor the temperature often. I could do this since I was home often, but you might try a Marina Betta Mini Heater (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo) since it's lower wattage and is *supposed* to turn off at a certain temperature if it gets too hot.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey!! Welcome back for the time being

They tank is perfectly fine and as you said, you'd just need a heater. I have the 3 gallon cube of this one. But I feel like it would be perfectly fine to use space wise since it's not taller rather than longer...literally a cube haha. That's mostly what I look for in tanks is just longer rather than tall so it gives more space for them to be able to breathe but that tank is certainly sufficient enough

I also use the Whisper 3i on two of my tanks, it's not the best but does well enough. Oh and as far as the cycle goes, you will end up with a cycle regardless because you'll have the filter (unless you decide not to use it) just because you'll inadvertently grow your BB but it won't matter if you keep up with the water changes and all It's when you don't that it becomes more of a problem.

EDIT: oh yes, I use the Marina C10 on mine, works great and I've had it for nearly a year now with no problems. Of course every heater can malfunction no matter the brand ^^ And the filter yes, is a little strong when you first start up but after about a week or so it calms down like every other filter out there
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Lol nice :) thanks for your opinions. I think if I had that tank I would just put a small sponge filter in there and maybe a 25 watt adjustable heater? I think that would be okay...I have read about people using 25 watt heaters in as little as 1 gallon with good results but idk because I've never done it myself lol...
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah you should be able to put a 25W in there, I believe the Hydro Theo is a good one to use and you can find it fairly reasonable at drsfosterandsmith.com

Just of course try it out in something before putting it in with a fish just to make sure it actually works. You'll probably have to put it at the lowest setting and work your way up from there
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #6 
GFarra

Hello,

I had that exact tank. Today my guy is in the 3 gallon cube. I'm also using the Hydor Theo 25w heater. Its a great tank. The 3i filter is a little weak IMO, but I'm still using it in my tank.

I switched to the 3 gallon to give my guy some additional silk plants to hide in without infringing on the amount of water he has to swim in.
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah you should be able to put a 25W in there, I believe the Hydro Theo is a good one to use and you can find it fairly reasonable at drsfosterandsmith.com

Just of course try it out in something before putting it in with a fish just to make sure it actually works. You'll probably have to put it at the lowest setting and work your way up from there
Oh yes I actually have the THEO 25 watt in my 5 gallon and it seems to work well but my favorite thing about it is how small and compact it is!

Btw someone left a review on that tank saying that it's cruel and that bettas need at least 5 gallons and that is even "pushing it".

I was just like wow you've got to be kidding me so I came here to see what actual betta enthusiasts think...Myself being one...And I think the tank makes a fine bachelor pad ;)
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Oh yes I actually have the THEO 25 watt in my 5 gallon and it seems to work well but my favorite thing about it is how small and compact it is!

Btw someone left a review on that tank saying that it's cruel and that bettas need at least 5 gallons and that is even "pushing it".

I was just like wow you've got to be kidding me so I came here to see what actual betta enthusiasts think...Myself being one...And I think the tank makes a fine bachelor pad ;)
Lol, got yourself a Betta Extremist there! Sure 5 gallons is great but with proper care we've all seen they can live happy in anything smaller ^^ I personally wouldn't do anything under 2.5, but that's just me! As long as they are being taken care of, I couldn't care much less because I'm happy they're healthy lol.

It's the people who don't know how to take care of them and are ignorant to their fish's need, we were all at this point some time in our Betta loving exprience but most of us here want to know more so we can give the best to our friends

So yes, this tank will be perfectly fine ^^ And yes! I can't wait to get my THEO's in! I haven't bought them yet lol, but soon...soon! I'll have the 25W in my 2 3's and my 5.5 and then the 50W in my 10 since none of them are adjustable at the moment and I'd really, really love an adjustable one for my boys
Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Lol, got yourself a Betta Extremist there! Sure 5 gallons is great but with proper care we've all seen they can live happy in anything smaller ^^ I personally wouldn't do anything under 2.5, but that's just me! As long as they are being taken care of, I couldn't care much less because I'm happy they're healthy lol.

It's the people who don't know how to take care of them and are ignorant to their fish's need, we were all at this point some time in our Betta loving exprience but most of us here want to know more so we can give the best to our friends

So yes, this tank will be perfectly fine ^^ And yes! I can't wait to get my THEO's in! I haven't bought them yet lol, but soon...soon! I'll have the 25W in my 2 3's and my 5.5 and then the 50W in my 10 since none of them are adjustable at the moment and I'd really, really love an adjustable one for my boys
I agree with all you said :) and good luck with the bew heaters! They should be good :)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you!