Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 
jlllm

Second hand Aquarium questions

Hi,
I just got a 20-30 gallon aquarium today from someone who was moving out. I have no idea what was in it, nor if they were well, or if there are problems as she is long gone. How should I clean it and what should I throw out. There is no gravel nor decor. There is just the hood & lights, the heater, the hang on filter. There is a little algae on the heater and calcium build up (?) on some corners of the filter and heater.
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 
peachii

Hi,

We purchased all out tanks for cheap off of Craigslist. I didn't know how to clean them either but my boyfriend knows everything about everything so He taught me. You can use white vinegar to clean the algae and calcium buildup off. It's stinky but not harmful chemical wise and gets them sparkling new as can be. If you are leary of any type sickness ect, you can after you finish with the vinegar cleaning and have it all rinsed out - use 19 parts water/1 part bleach to steralize everything then fill with water and put in about 5 times the normal amount of water conditioner - as it neutralizes the bleach (which is almost the same thing as chlorine).

All our tanks look like we bought them brand new after i scrubbed them for a few hours. Craigslist made tanks we never would have been able to afford possible.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
jlllm

I used vinegar and aquarium salt. Now to see if it leaks!!! I guess it would be best to get a bottle of instant cycle as it will takes months to do so with this! I dont even have gravel or anything for it
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 
peachii

if you are looking for a cheap alternative to gravel -

There are several options.
Black Diamond Blasting Stuff from Tractor Supply for the top - needs to be cleaned before use but every comment i have read has been really good from people using it

Plain Grey Kitty litter (you'd have to look up the brand recommended to use)

(not good for live plants) Pea gravel from Lowes/HomeDepot

Organic Miracle Grow Potting Mix underneath if you plan to do live plants

There are a lot more options for cheap gravel/etc but I can't remember the names of them all right now.

Would do your whole tank for less than 20.00 - whereas the expensive stuff would be about 40-60.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #5 
jlllm

wow. It would take a long time for the soil to settle down!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It would take a few days depending on much you use, but if you're careful with the soil it should only be maybe 2 days of settling or so.

But if you do soil just be mindful, it will stir up easily so that's why generally we put a sand cap over it. So like the Black Diamond Blasting Sand that peachii mentioned, that would be good.

But with any substrate you need to wash those out very thoroughly, you can looked up on youtube how to do it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 
txbettaowner

To clean the tank you can do bleach mixed with water and that will kill any bacteria that would be in the tank.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 
jlllm

Should I use the heater and the filter that came with it?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can, I'd do the same 1 parts bleach 19 parts water solution to let them soak in for an hour or so. Then rinse out with very hot water. Then let them sit in a bucket with 4x the amount of conditioner to get ready for aquarium use, for about 4 hours or so. Rinse again and you should be set to go
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #10 
jlllm

the heater keeps falling into the water and floating away