Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #1 
Flapmon

Do I need a heater while I cycle?

I'm cycling two filters in a 20L tank along with an old filter, it's going to be for my betta but I was just curious if I HAD to put a heater in? I'm using both of mine to keep my betta's warm and I don't intend to buy a heater to just not use it when I'm finished with it. <<
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

A heater may speed things up slightly, but if you can't spare one, don't worry. The tank will still cycle eventually at room temperature. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #3 
wish4coner

I personally did but, I am not sure it is necessary. Our weather has been freaky and temp not constant so, I wanted the temp to be 78-80, constant.

I did get some really cheap ones at ebay. They do the trick and I dont think I paid more than 5 bucks..they are adjustable and go up to 90 degrees so, perfect for just a spare heater or to use if you want the temp to stay while cycling.

I also was told, and don't know how true it is but, keeping a heater in helps grow the beneficial bacteria.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #4 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish4coner View Post
I personally did but, I am not sure it is necessary. Our weather has been freaky and temp not constant so, I wanted the temp to be 78-80, constant.

I did get some really cheap ones at ebay. They do the trick and I dont think I paid more than 5 bucks..they are adjustable and go up to 90 degrees so, perfect for just a spare heater or to use if you want the temp to stay while cycling.

I also was told, and don't know how true it is but, keeping a heater in helps grow the beneficial bacteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
A heater may speed things up slightly, but if you can't spare one, don't worry. The tank will still cycle eventually at room temperature. :)

Gah, two opinions. I think I might just leave it. It seems to be doing okay. I'll check up on those heaters just in case though. Although they'll probably be a little more expensive since I'm in Australia. <<

I was going to add goldfish into the tank but now I've decided against it and now I have unwanted goldfish. ;c
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

all of mine were fish in cycles so I had a heater

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-30-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typo
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #6 
jsmith11618

You don't need a heater to cycle a tank, remember there are lots of people who keep cold water fish and aquariums and they cycle just fine.
jsmith11618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I've read around that nitrifying bacteria grow best around 82*. My fastest cycles were around 85*. As has been mentioned, it's certainly not critical.

But, if you can afford it, it's always nice to have a spare heater around (filter, too) just in case.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #8 
Flapmon

I'll look on ebay.