Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #1 
GraphiteTurtle

Year old fin rot...

I have had my halfmoon male betta for about a year and a half. I Have been fighting fin rot for about a year and I can't make him heal!

I was using Jungle Fungus Clear. then I recently switched to Melafix. With the Fungus Clear he was staying at about the same fin length. not getting better nor worse. now since I switched to Melafix his fins started looking slightly more shabby.

I have tried for too long and he needs better help than what I have provided apparently...

Can I mix Melafix and Jungle Fungus Clear? I imagine that might help.Or do I need antibiotics?

my water parameters
PH 7.5
Ammonia 0.00
nitrite 0.00
nitrates just under 30
5 gallon tank by himself ( though I do have a pleco that visits to clean the tank every once in a while)
temperature is 78.

Thanks in advance.
GraphiteTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #2 
Chevko

How often do you do water changes? Tried AQ? Or is that debatable for helping with fin rot... Something doesn't sound right by any means if it's been going on for a year now - that is a massive amount of time to be fighting something like this, imho. I had an accident that caused fin rot and a water change stopped it immediately.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #3 
GraphiteTurtle

I tried Aquarium salt for a while. It didn't help much but I stopped because I read it can hurt their livers after a while. Not sure if that is true or not but I didn't want to take the chance.

I do weekly water changes I change one gallon at a time.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would not use Melafix. It contains oils which may coat the breathing labyrinth, making it difficult for them to breathe. Until more research is done, I would try to avoid it, if possible.

I would increase water changes. Does the tank have a filter? For a healthy fish in a 6 gal tank, I'd recommend doing one 50% water change per week, with an occasional vacuuming. But, since he's fighting persistent fin rot:

I would do two 50% water changes per week.

Frequent water changes will remove toxins and bacteria. The Fungus Clear probably maintained his condition by killing off bacteria. Doing more frequent water changes will help control the bacteria levels in the tank.

(Aquarium salt contains sodium, which stresses the kidneys, and can lead to fluid retention, bloating, constipation and buoyancy issues. So the general rule is to never use it in high dosages, and to never use it for more than 10 days.)

If the more frequent water changes don't seem to help, I would try a different gram negative antibiotic. But try the water changes first.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-30-2013 at 12:53 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #5 
GraphiteTurtle

So I should go back to using Fungus Clear and do 50% water changes twice a week then?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #6 
GraphiteTurtle

And that just got me thinking... I recently got a 15 gallon tank cycled and stocked. And I was under the impression that in bigger tanks I only need to do 25% water changes twice a month. Is that not enough?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #7 
GraphiteTurtle

Oh sorry I forgot to say. Yes I have a sponge filter for my betta.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Here is a link to OFL's water change recommendations thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758. It provides excellent advice on water change schedules.

How long have you been using the Fungus Clear?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #9 
GraphiteTurtle

I stopped with the fungus clear to try salt and then melafix. I probably used it for 10 months. Doing short breaks so as to not hurt the betta because I figured it might hurt him. Would you suggest using fungus clear again with the more frequent water changes?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Ten months is a long time to use an antibiotic. I would stop it, and give him a rest.

Try using just lots of clean, warm water. Do frequent water changes.

OFL's post provides water change recommendations suitable for healthy fish. Since your guy is dealing with persistent rot, I would do more water changes than the recommended number.

I would try to do just lots of partial water changes right now. If the rot seems to get worse, I'd try a different antibiotic. If, after 10 months, the best the Fungus Clear has done is keep it from progressing, you may be better off using a different class of antibiotic. But give him a little rest for awhile.

What type of food do you give him? Good nutrition is important. It'll help his immune system fight off infection.