Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #21 
DoctorWhoLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBarb View Post
I don't know the answer for sure, so all I can offer is an educated guess and my rationale. I would hesitate to feed them baby pillbugs, except perhaps the tiny whitish-yellowish ones that are still attached to mom's abdomen. I have two reservations about feeding bigger gray ones: the density of hardened exoskeleton vs. amount of nutritious meat, and possible pesticide/herbicide/fertilizer or other chemical exposure. I'm not sure the risk of constipation from overfeeding little pillbugs would be worth the unknown level of benefit. I wouldn't take them from your garden or around the foundation of your house/apartment building. But I would think that a couple two tiny ones as a treat would probably be okay, if you feel confident that they're coming from someplace not treated with agrochemicals or other common chemicals found around human habitations. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to collecting food around human habitation because of what I know about chemical contaminants. I frankly don't do it. But if I have occasion to be in the woods, I might do it, and see what other teeny tiny insect larvae I might find under a log.
I'm thinking about putting a small container of standing spring water outside in the shade to collect mosquito larvae. If I do it, I will be vigilant about collecting the larvae and changing the water frequently. I'll freeze extras. Mosquito-borne illnesses are on the rise, so I don't want to promote them by making more mosquitos!
I found a lot of baby pill pugs in my backyard so I was wondering :)
Wynn - My bettas don't "moonswim", but they do like to jump over a mini log I have in their tank X]
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #22 
TurtleBarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
You mention brine shrimp aren't a natural food sourse does that mean you think Betta's shouldn't eat it/don't like it? (I feel bad I bough some before I saw that post of yours)
In my experience, brine shrimp are fine in moderation as part of a balanced diet. It wouldn't be healthy for BS to be the sole foundation of a betta's diet, but they do have nutrients in them.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #23 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBarb View Post
In my experience, brine shrimp are fine in moderation as part of a balanced diet. It wouldn't be healthy for BS to be the sole foundation of a betta's diet, but they do have nutrients in them.
I see, thank you.
Side question, with Betta behavior how long do you think it takes to discover there behavior. I am new to this and when I watch him I wonder if I see signs of bad things or just normal things. I fully admit I could be to worrysome here but prehaps too worrysome is better then non worrysome.
Like sometimes he swims up next to me watching him on the tank and other times he refuses, he usually hides near the water heater.(I don't have enough decor for him) I think I need a better hide a hole for him(Would a coffee cup work, I am sort of broke?) Last night I did a water change and the water level went a little high so I raised the heater making a hole at the bottom near the aqua gems and he hid there it was kind of funny. I placed white paper around the tank since he seemed to be flaring at the walls. I see him sometimes rubing against stuff but there is not much to do in his 10 gallon tank since I only have 2 little plants for him to attempt to hide.
Does it sound natural for a betta to sometimes be friendly sometimes be distant/ sometimes be in one spot for ever other times dart arund real fast? I have only had him about 2 weeks so I am a nevious new betta owner.
Last thing, some times I think he has a swollen eye but when I look closer it seems fine or the other eye seems swollen, think it is possible I am getting a inacurate view cuz of the glass/water?
Thanks for advice in advance :D
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #24 
TurtleBarb

There's no way to tell you how long it will take you personally to learn your betta's normal behavior. It takes time spent watching and observing what your betta seems to do consistently versus what suddenly seems like a new behavior or out of the ordinary. It's normal for a betta to sit still for a bit and then swim around. Rubbing against items could be a cause for concern if it's combined with other symptoms. I understand the nervousness, that will probably fade with time and more info. Most new fish owners are nervous. It means you care. :) If you have any concerns about a health condition, the folks on here are pretty responsive to requests for assistance. It's helpful if you post a picture of what you're concerned about, along with a description of fishie's habitat, water chemistry parameters and temperature. And it would probably be helpful to start a new post asking for help with a health concern so people who skim the new posts will see it. As you've noticed, my response time is unpredictable and can be short or long. :) There are plenty of other fish in this sea that could probably assist you faster. :)
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta swimming help