Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #21 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
If the tank is not cycling, than 30% water changes twice per week in a 2 gallon are definately not enough. Clean water is very important for helping boost a fish's immune system.

Shine a flashlight on your fish and look for a gold-dust effect on his body. That is the tell-tale sign of velvet. Ick shows up as white dots like the fish has been sprinkled with salt.
Am changing his tank daily now with the salt treatment, and will do twice weekly when he is healed. I looked at him with a light and saw silver dust, not gold. Definitely not ick/ich/whitespot, but maybe early signs of velvet. According to Anhel this should go away with the salt treatment too.

Thank you for your reply! :)
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #22 
ANHEL123

just don't stop the salt even if you see that he is better. Perhaps if after 4-5 days you think that he is worse and salt don't help let us know. I actually prefer to have medications on hands just in case salt will not help and you can use med's right away without looking for them. You always can return them if you don't need to use them.Unfortunately treatments are not always cut and dry or one size fits all.... But salt and temp over 84* and daily water changes+ all changing equipment including his changing cup rinse with hot water and dry everything out, i hope will help. This is the only way to treat velvet or ich with natural remedies which is less stressful on fish.
If you want to buy medications you can buy Kotfon'd Rid-ich or Ick-attack, Seachem Paraguard, Hikary HealthAid PraziPro, API General Cure . Medications with praziquantel, malachite green, methlyene blue , or acriflavine are helpful.

Also sorry i don't remember if i mentioned - keep his tank as dimmed as possible since part of their reproduction they use photosynthesis.

Make sure treat him for at least 3 days PAST the last day you could see any symptoms on him to make ensure you got them all hiding in the gill plate.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #23 
inveritas

I'm not sure if it's the salt treatment or higher levels of stress in a medicated tank, but his fins have gotten worse in the past few days even though there was nothing in the hospital tank that could have ripped them. I think he has been nipping his own fins due to stress, though I think I will follow through with the 14-day treatment, return him to his bigger tank and see if it improves over time.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

I would continue salt only because you want to be sure that he don't have velvet any more. On 5/30 you wrote that you noticed some very fine gold specs on him. Does he still has them if you shine the light on him?

Whenever fish has external parasites it can bother him so he might nipped his fins. Or may be he was doing it from beginning? Is there ''u '' shape bites?
Is there dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged''? If there is no discoloration , this can indicate tail biting. Look for U-shaped chunks missing from the fins.
Also some bettas can be irritated with too warm temperature too.. So when you done the treatment i would very slowly lower the temp to 80* that he was before.
When you done salt or a few days before just make sure he don't have any velvet symptoms that i described before to insure you don't need to continue with medications. Some times i saw many post people still continue with meds because fish has symptoms.
How he behave otherwise ? Is he acting healthy and eating? No rubbing or darting?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #25 
inveritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I would continue salt only because you want to be sure that he don't have velvet any more. On 5/30 you wrote that you noticed some very fine gold specs on him. Does he still has them if you shine the light on him?

Whenever fish has external parasites it can bother him so he might nipped his fins. Or may be he was doing it from beginning? Is there ''u '' shape bites?
Is there dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged''? If there is no discoloration , this can indicate tail biting. Look for U-shaped chunks missing from the fins.
Also some bettas can be irritated with too warm temperature too.. So when you done the treatment i would very slowly lower the temp to 80* that he was before.
When you done salt or a few days before just make sure he don't have any velvet symptoms that i described before to insure you don't need to continue with medications. Some times i saw many post people still continue with meds because fish has symptoms.
How he behave otherwise ? Is he acting healthy and eating? No rubbing or darting?
I just shone a light on him and the specs are gone - will continue treatment for another week just to be sure.

I'm not sure if his fins are ripped or bitten, but he has been behaving very normally. I've some photos below of his fins.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

He is gorgeous. I am wondering what other people thinking but i really think it tail biting. I would continue with salt just to insure that we completely got rid of parasites and after you done salt just may be continue to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Give us update please.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #27 
inveritas

Quote:
He is gorgeous. I am wondering what other people thinking but i really think it tail biting. I would continue with salt just to insure that we completely got rid of parasites and after you done salt just may be continue to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Give us update please.
I will do that. I am planning to decorate his tank with more hideouts and silk plants as I read that bettas may bite their tails due to boredom or stress. I read that some people have ping pong balls floating in their betta's tanks for them to play with but this doesn't seem to interest my betta.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

well sometimes it can be really big problem and betta can do it on regular basis and there is nothing will help.
I do have one of my betta that i have for a little longer than 3 years and he is tail bitter but he don't do it on regular basis. The last time he did it was about 8 month ago.

I am not sure why your betta doing it , because he has/had ext parasites and it bothers him or he is just tail bitter.
You can try to rearrange his decor, add more hiding places,plastic bottle tops off soda bottles. Betta might bite because he's bored or because he is threatened by his tail and think it's another betta , or his tail is too heavy for him.
I do have a lot of stuff in my tail bitter tank. And it happened that i moved a little bit his tank , not sure if it the reason he is not biting any more. I take the heaters out from the tank in the summer, but keep the suction cup in the tank because sometimes he likes to circle around it . I actually have a few of those suction cups from the heater just to destruct him.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #29 
inveritas

Quote:
well sometimes it can be really big problem and betta can do it on regular basis and there is nothing will help.
I do have one of my betta that i have for a little longer than 3 years and he is tail bitter but he don't do it on regular basis. The last time he did it was about 8 month ago.

I am not sure why your betta doing it , because he has/had ext parasites and it bothers him or he is just tail bitter.
You can try to rearrange his decor, add more hiding places,plastic bottle tops off soda bottles. Betta might bite because he's bored or because he is threatened by his tail and think it's another betta , or his tail is too heavy for him.
I do have a lot of stuff in my tail bitter tank. And it happened that i moved a little bit his tank , not sure if it the reason he is not biting any more. I take the heaters out from the tank in the summer, but keep the suction cup in the tank because sometimes he likes to circle around it . I actually have a few of those suction cups from the heater just to destruct him.

I've went out to buy some more porcelain decor that I've put in his tank. He stated making bubble nests again (which I hope means he is improving), but it's too early to tell if his tail is healing (I haven't caught him biting before)!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

Be ready he might do it again though. Sometimes the fins will have spike that are slightly transparent(clear fin tips, almost like cellophane)-sign of regrowth. They are very thin and very fragile and often take months before the color fins in.
Sorry i don't want to disappoint you but bubble nest really just natural instinct and doesn't mean that he is improving or not. Well he probably happy though and don't have any pain:)