Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 
slug61

Fin rot & AQ salt

My betta developed fin rot after biting off about 1/3 of his tail.

He is now in a 1 gallon QT tank
I am doing 100% water changes each day and adding 1tsp AQ salt and double dosing the StressCoat+

He has been treated now since Monday (4 days)

I don't really see any difference yet. The edges are still black, but, one of the tears has a tiny little bit of white re-growth at the base.

How long before I should see a difference?
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It may take up to a week or longer. I suggest uping your dose to 2 teaspoons per gallon, add the new salt in slowly so you don't shock your poor boy.

Also, don't know if you know, but don't use any salts for more than 14 days (although at higher dosage like 3 tsp/gal I don't go over 10 days). You should see some improvement towards the end of the week but I would go the full 14 days if you aren't seeing much improvement.

Then if he's still not doing well and the black is still there, give him about 4-5 days break from the salt (although the longer the better) and then you can do another 14 day period of dosing.

And you won't see new fin growth until the rot is gone or if that part is not infected. To heal them up I recommend any sorts of Stress Coat because it's got aloe in it so it will start to heal them up in no time well that's a lie lol, it took over a month for my boy in my avatar to regrow a portion he bit off. He just now grew it all back!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #3 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
It may take up to a week or longer. I suggest uping your dose to 2 teaspoons per gallon, add the new salt in slowly so you don't shock your poor boy.

Also, don't know if you know, but don't use any salts for more than 14 days (although at higher dosage like 3 tsp/gal I don't go over 10 days). You should see some improvement towards the end of the week but I would go the full 14 days if you aren't seeing much improvement.

Then if he's still not doing well and the black is still there, give him about 4-5 days break from the salt (although the longer the better) and then you can do another 14 day period of dosing.

And you won't see new fin growth until the rot is gone or if that part is not infected. To heal them up I recommend any sorts of Stress Coat because it's got aloe in it so it will start to heal them up in no time well that's a lie lol, it took over a month for my boy in my avatar to regrow a portion he bit off. He just now grew it all back!
Ok, i will add another tsp of salt. I already use StressCoat.
The black edging is very slight..it was never really bad, but it's not gone yet either.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh alright then, I was misreading then.

You should keep it at 1 or 1.5 teaspoons (sorry for the confusion!!) if it isn't bad. Generally the worse it is, the more salt but if it's not bad just use a smaller dose then and just keep it going for longer is all. So go right up to the 14 day period or until all the black is gone :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh alright then, I was misreading then.

You should keep it at 1 or 1.5 teaspoons (sorry for the confusion!!) if it isn't bad. Generally the worse it is, the more salt but if it's not bad just use a smaller dose then and just keep it going for longer is all. So go right up to the 14 day period or until all the black is gone :)
OK
Thanks