Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Bettas, Guppies, and Mollies

So my plans have changed AGAIN. This time, I might have to bring my 10 gallon tank to college. My roommate has guppies and mollies and she wants to bring some to college with her, but they only allow ONE tank per room, and it can't be two 5 gallons. It has to be just one tank, which doesn't make sense to me. I can't change it though, so oh well.

How many guppies and or mollies could I put in a moderately planted 10 gallon with my betta?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
Stone

Mollys, maybe 1 or 2 max, guppys maybe 4 or so depending on species and how big they get, I have dalmation and ummm orange mollys and they get pretty darn big, I had some guppys of a few kinds but I ened up taking them back because they were swarming/nipping/harassing all of my other fish non stop
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 
justmel

Guppies are known to be fin biters. I personally haven't had a problem with it myself. Used to keep a betta with my guppies all the time, but since you are having to put them in the tank with your betta you might want to watch for it.

Mollys can get big too, depending on type. I had a 2" silverfin molly at one time. MANY years ago. I never knew they could get so big, but that molly would have been bigger than some bettas I've seen.

How many you can add I can't really say, but I think you'll be able to figure out if it's to crowded.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

+1. No mollies, but up to 4 guppies would be fine. It's a question of allowing the fish space as much as a question of bioload.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #5 
crowntaillove3

Would you be able to divide the tank? If so, then you wouldn't have a problem, and the fish would be used to the surroundings as to tank mates and tank size.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

I would be able to divide the tank. I don't know if my roommate wants to even put them in the same tank though. :(
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

If you have a tolerant male, I would go with make guppies. They tend to be nicer than females. My males were fine with very colorful guppies, so hopefully you can do well with them.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Dividing the tank would give the guppies no more than 5 gallons of space, though. Sure, it won't kill them, but guppies are relatively large (for small community critters), active fish and really need more than 5 gallons to exercise in.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote