Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #1 
jona31

Exclamation Ich Ich go away

grrrrrrr my betta a my neon tetras all have ich not sure how my guppies are ok hmmm? need to find a solution any ideas there tank is 10 gallons the animals are 3 neon tetras 1 fancy guppy male 1 cobra guppy male 1 betta fish the animals affected by the ich are in 1 gallon tanks right now being treated I do not own a heater so I'm trying to think of other ways to help
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I used Kordon's Rid-Ich for my 33 gallon when I had Ich there and it worked great. I liked it because you don't need to do a water change every time you dose it, just 20% at the end of the treatment. That one or Ick Attack will work great.

Or you could use Aquarium salt but for that I recommend being able to hike the temp up to 85-86 over a few days. Just in case you were interested though, it would be 3 tsp/gal with the AQ salt with a 50% water change everyday.

So I would personally just go with the meds at this point since it would be lots of AQ salt and of course a higher temp.

However I still did about 40% water changes each day while dosing just to get rid of the free-floating particles that you cannot see.

I hope this helps some and your fish get better soon!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

It's best to treat all the fish in the tank, not just the ones showing spots. Fish can carry the parasite without showing spots, and those fish can infect the others. Unless you treat the main tank, the infected fish can just be reinfected again.

If you do not have a heater, my suggestion is quick cure. It quickly cures them (hence the name ) and is not that harsh. Problem with it is that it may stain some decor a with a light blue hue, so you may want to remove decor during treatment. There are other ways to treat ich, such as salt, but I have no experience with them so I don't have anything to say about that. I only use heat anymore (without salt).

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Some good advice in the Disease and Treatment sticky:

Ick
Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor

Treatment: You can treat Ick either conservatively or with medication. Ick is a parasite. Because ick is contagious, it is preferable to treat the whole tank when one fish is found to have it. Ick is temperature sensitive: Leave your betta in the community tank and raise temperature to 85 F. Then you can choose to treat with salt or medication. Conservative: Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days. If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus. If your betta lives in a jar/bowl, then it can be difficult to heat the water. There are heaters for smaller containers, but you can also float the quarantine container in a larger heated tank during treatment. Do a full water change every day and add an appropriate amount of medication to the water.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

There are a number of ways to treat ich. Combining methods doesn't make them any more effective - Dead is dead. One can use heat, meds or salt. Using more than one method, or all three at a time for that matter, is not necessary. However, people are free to do more than what's needed if they wish. Food for thought - all three methods are stressful on the fish. Combining treatments makes it that much more stressful.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote