Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 
Subliminate

Caring for a betta that just came in the mail?

Hey guys! New user here!

I just picked up two bettas from Thailand at the post office. After setting their bags in their new tanks they started to perk right up. I'm a little concerned that one of them is laying on its side a bit...it is otherwise in good spirits, swimming around a bit and exploring, but it is occasionally laying on its side. What can I do to make sure he makes it? The tanks are NOT heated...I have two heaters in the mail I'm still waiting on, but the tanks are 74 F right now.

Do I need to be concerned about the lethargy, or them laying on their side? What should I do to make their transition as smooth as possible? I acclimated them over the course of an hour, adding tank water to their bags a few tablespoons at a time.

Thank you!
Subliminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 
Viva

I'm sure they will be despite the temperature. If you have Indian Almond leaf or Stress Coat that can make them feel less stressed. Other than that they just need to adjust to the new surroundings and new water. I'm not sure what the laying on the side thing is but I would give it a day or two to see if them improve or worsen before you worry.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new Bettas. Post photos when you can.

Just a note: When I get new fish/inverts, I add a drop or two of Prime immediately to the bag to detoxify any ammonia build-up. I know you can't do that now but it's something to tuck away.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 
sainthogan

I got my male in the mail (yeah, I know that sounds corny), in the middle of a blizzard with no heat packs (it was warm where the sender mailed him from). My poor guy was almost frozen :(. He had a serious swim bladder issue that was determined was from a type of fish cold. It took him a few weeks to get over it. Now he lays on his side all the time. For him, it's his personality, because apparently, he stays up all night making bubble nests in the dark, and sleeps all day.
For yours it could be stress from the trip. Time and a stable, clean environment will help that. He could also have an illness brought on by stress, so you will have to watch for other signs of illness. It could also be a personality quirk like my guy has.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #5 
Subliminate

Thanks for the replies! They seem to be doing much better now, neither are laying on their sides now. I will remember the tips about the Prime, Indian Almond Leaf, and Stress Coat for next time! They must've been tired from their long trip over the past two days. Here's the pics of them from the breeder:

No names yet, but I'm thinking Jack and Locke. They're just as colorful in person!

Last edited by Subliminate; 05-31-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #6 
logisticsguy

Wow they have quite the dorsal fins on them and look like they have marble genetics. I really like the fish very colorful!
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 
Subliminate

Thank you! They look even nicer under the light in their tanks. They've already built nice big bubble nests, too!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #8 
Crowntails

Great to hear! And they are beautiful :)
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 
Viva

Very nice! Glad they are doing better. The trip through the mail always makes them a little lethargic for the first day or two. They sure are colorful though, and they definitely look like marbles so their colors might change throughout their lives :)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Gorgeous Bettas. Thanks for the photos!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote