Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #1 
Scarlet

Unhappy pop-eye...healed?

My poor betta, Smoky Robinson, ended up getting a bad bacteria infection and pop-eye...I've treated him with BettaFix and the redness has gone away, though he did end up loosing one of his eyes. I haven't seen him eat once through this whole thing, though he seems to be back to is normal swimming patterns.

I know his other eye is okay because he responds sociably to people near his tank...I know he sees the food, he's just not eating it!

I've tried his normal pellets, betta flakes, and live blood worms. He's currently in a little 1.5gal hospital tank and has one more day of his treatment before I do a water change or maybe put him back in his home tank. (I was hoping to see him eat before I put him back.) I've tested the water in his tank, all the levels are fine and I've treated it with Methylene Blue (anti-fungal) and a live bacteria stress coat.

Anybody have any suggestions on feeding? Do one-eyed fishes survive? Is he maybe just still healing and feeling like crap?

Also, should I do another round (7 days) of BettaFix or keep him hospitalized for a while? I'm worried his main tank's flow is a bit too strong for a sick fish.

Thanks for any input guys! Smoky and I appreciate it!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Well most on here would say don't use any med with the word fix in it since it has tea tree oil which can coat the labyrinth organ & cause death. One eyed fish can do fine they may just need a little extra cafe to make sure they see the food. I would move him back when you're comfortable he's healed enough.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

One-eyed fish can definitely survive! There are even a few people on this forum who own blind fish.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 
jeano

How do you feed the fish with popeye and can't see very well? What special things would you do?
jeano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not eating, pop-eye