Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #11 
redchigh

I've used oil-dri, a clay absorbant sold in Walmart automotive as an additive. Its a pure clay product that I've also used as a cap before.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #12 
boopsie

I'm having the worst time trying to find dolomite and can only find muriate of potash in giant bags. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
boopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #13 
RiceFish

Try looking in an arts and crafts store like Michaels or a store that specializes in pottery
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #14 
VJM

I hear a lot about "toxic substrate gas can kill your fish", but I have never seen anyone post that this has actually happened. Does anyone have any legit source to prove this point?

My substrate gets pockets wherever there aren't roots. I poke, bubbles come out, fish are 100% fine.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #15 
Nicci Lu

Bubbles are pretty normal in Walstad tanks- it's just normal decomposition. It's when they smell like sulfur that they are anaerobic- this is more uncommon. boopsie, if your soil had anaerobic pockets you would have been smacked in the face by rotten egg odor when the bubbles came out. Just keep poking the soil once a week, and you'll be fine.

VJM, I have only seen maybe one or two people say they've actually had anaerobic pockets, so I suppose it can happen. But I am beginning to suspect that this threat has been rather exaggerated. The pink Christina Aguilera monsters of the aquarium hobby.

I still poke my substrate, though, even with my MTS.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #16 
Nicci Lu

One of my tanks has flourite mixed with the soil, and the other has plain Hartz pH 7 clay kitty litter (non-clumping, non-scented) in the soil. But, as far as I know, the purpose of these (or any clay mixed with soil) is to provide CEC (cation exchange capacity). The clay is able to store the nutrients that are being released by the decomposing soil, thereby keeping those nutrients within the soil and available to plant roots. As a bonus, the CEC of clay keeps those nutrients from being released into the water column.

EDIT: Even with these additions, I still get bubbles. But not the bad bubbles.

EDIT #2: Not sure if Gallium mentioned this, but a good rule to follow to avoid the formation of anaerobic pockets is to make sure that the soil layer is only 1-1 1/2 inches deep. Too deep substrate is said to be a cause of anaerobic pockets.

I'm wondering how clay or an inert substance like sand would help avoid anaerobic pockets?

Last edited by Nicci Lu; 06-10-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #17 
Stone

the bubble that come out are nitrogen gas, that has been fixed by nitrogen fixing bacteria, which is a process that's anaerobic, nitogrn gas is toxic even to us mamals unless it has been "fixed" by the nitrogen fixing bacteria, I have not checked in a few years to see if they have solved this "fixing" process, it was an unknown
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #18 
Stone

@Nicci you can not avoid nature look up nitrogen fixing bacteria it will explain the process, it is basically how things are broken down so plants can use them, ammonia nitrites and so on, it's kind of the nitrogen cycle that happens in soil/dirt if you sit on the shore of a lake/pond/swamp toy will see bubbles coming up from the soil, it's just a part of nature
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #19 
Nicci Lu

@Stone- Um, I think possibly you misunderstood me? I don't mind the bubbles at all, at least not the ones that come from normal decomposition, or bacterial denitrogenation if you will. ;) These bubbles are the ones that release nitrogen.

Actually, anaerobic pockets release hydrogen sulfide, not nitrogen. This is what is toxic to fish, and why it smells like sulfur. There is always some anaerobic activity occurring in the soil, but a buildup of anaerobic decay in a pocket where it gets trapped results in an accumulation of hydrogen sulfide. Usually plant roots are enough to supply oxygen to the soil- anaerobic bacteria can only live in oxygen depleted areas, and so where there is oxygen there are no anaerobic pockets. This is why a substrate that is too deep can cause this problem.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #20 
VJM

Well, my tanks all have bubbles that smell like sulfur. I poke and release them. All fish are absolutely fine.

If anyone can point me to any first hand info, anywhere, that indicates this has ever been responsible for a fish death, I would love to check it out.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote