Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Formalin is one of the treatments listed for Ambiphyra in the Merck Veterinary Manual.

With regard to Usnea, Callistra started a thread on it awhile back: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=89314. She used to be online a lot, but I haven't seen her recently. I just sent a PM to her, asking if she could take a look at this thread.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #12 
callistra

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Usnea

For rot I use Kanaplex by Seachem. Stress coat by API to reduce fish stress and promote healing and vitachem to promote healing.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Found a few journal articles about Usnea:

1) Determination of antioxidative potential of lichen Usnea ghattensis in vitro
The study was aimed at evaluating the antioxidant activities of extract of Usnea ghattensis. The antioxidant activity, reducing power, superoxide anion radical scavenging and free radical scavenging activities were studied.... The results obtained in the present study indicate that U. ghattensis is a potential source of natural antioxidant.

2) Effects of water extract of Usnea longissima on antioxidant enzyme activity and mucosal damage caused by indomethacin in rats
In this study, the antiulcerogenic effect of a water extract obtained from the lichen species Usnea longissima was investigated (in rats).... The present results indicate that the water extract of U. longissima has a protective effect in indomethacin-induced ulcers, which can be attributed to its antioxidant potential.

3) Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of lichen Usnea ghattensis in vitro
Various solvent extracts of the lichen Usnea ghattensis showed good antioxidant activity.... In addition, these extracts were inhibitory against Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus megaterium, Bacillus subtilis and Staphylococcus aureus....

4) Evaluation of antioxidant potential of the cultured mycobiont of a lichen Usnea ghattensis
The results presented herein indicate that extracts of cultured mycobiont of lichen Usnea ghattensis could possibly act as chemopreventing agent with respect to free radical-related diseases.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Considering that he's missing half his bum, he looks quite happy and optimistic. You've taken such great care of him; if he had been in other situations, he may not have made it this far.

The website that I linked earlier sells Usnea .2oz for $2.49. From what I understand, you boil one sprig of it and that will treat up to 10-20 gallons every day until cured, plus an additional 2 days.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....on4.html#usnea
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #15 
akhan

Thank you for the articles and the information about usnea! Although of course it makes me worried every time I expose my betta to something new, I really would like to try this out. Especially since I've been noticing his longer stub being eaten on a bit on the end, and I really want to preserve all the tail material he has.

After use of the formalin bath and some of the other antibiotics the vet had prescribed, the ambiphyra problem was indeed resolved, and the cytology revealed no more signs of infection from bacteria or parasites, but this does not go on to mean that there will be no infections in the future.

From this advice, it seems like I should try usnea, vitachem, and stress coat. I have kanaplex and polyguard and other antibiotics on hand in case I think he has an infection, but since the white growth is always there it definitely makes it hard to tell if there is infection and if I need to treat it.

He's been in his small treatment tank for awhile because I was worried the force of the filter in his bigger tank might damage the delicate tail condition he has going on. I really would like to get him back in the big tank but does anyone know a good way to remove any soap residue that may have been there before or any bacteria or parasites and such. It's been unoccupied for a month or so and I want to make sure he's entering a safe environment if I put him in. Thank you again guys!
akhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #16 
Sakura8

You can increase the heat to 86 F for a few days and that should take care of any parasites that didn't die off already from the lack of a host. The bacteria probably has died off already or gone dormant; the only way to make completely sure any bacteria are gone is to treat the tank with Kanaplex before you put him back in. Before you put him back, change most of the water and try to rinse the gravel if you can. You don't need to use the filter if you think it's too strong for him; in that size tank, you're relying on water changes mostly to keep the water quality good.

Good luck and please keep us updated on him. :)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #17 
akhan

He's back in the bigger tank now being treated with kanamycin, and I had added in stress coat today too. I just ordered usnea and vitachem, and I'm hoping so much so that this combination treats him well. Today I watched that last stub he had disintegrate and it made me so very sad. He's very active thankfully, but it was so hard to watch that bit of tail go. Please let me know if there's anything else you all can think of.
akhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

If the Kanaplex isn't effective, you may want to investigate fungi. (Granulomas are mentioned as a symptom of several.) Here's a good article:

An overview of fungus, fungi and fungal infections:

"Fungi are ubiquitous throughout nature and if left untreated many fungal infections in farmed and pet fish can be life threatening....."

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/...gal-infections
Old 06-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #19 
logisticsguy

Seachem Paraguard markets itself as a safe alternative. It is a broad based med that is more like an anti septic and is ant fungal. Ive used it with good results however not in a case this severe. I wish you the best your a terrific owner.

"ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine."
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Out of curiosity, does your vet think lymphocystis could be a possibility in that area? It's a virus that creates cauliflower-like cysts. Most of the time, the cysts are all over but I'm wondering if the cysts would attack the weaker area of the body and gather there.