Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #21 
akhan

Hi guys, I'm sorry it took me so long to come back to you, but I want to say how much I appreciate the way you care about my little fishy!

I think fungi is something good to look into with paraguard, considering the research you all included about how oxalate crystals can sometimes be a byproduct of certain fungi. I finished his dose of kanamycin so I'm going to give him a break for right now and look into the paraguard in the future possibly.

My vitachem hasn't come in yet, but the usnea lichen has and I'm excited to try it. I looked on the website about the dosing but if anybody has used it and has any advice about how to administer it please let me know. They suggest making a quart bath and adding 1 tbsp. of the 6 oz preparation, but I don't know how long he should stay in the bath or anything like that- so any suggestions?

And about the lymphocistis- I wondered about that a lot too since the white growth does have that cauliflower like appearance to it. I don't know, the vet never mentioned anything of it, but then again I don't know if you'd be able to see or detect a virus in a biopsy or histopath examinations since it is so small. I've read quite a bit about that and there's nothing you can do to treat that- that's usually the general consensus? what would you say?

JB is so sweet he's watching me type on the computer right now haha
akhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Hi akhan. For the usnea bath, I would start with maybe 10 minutes and if he doesn't show any signs of distress, lengthen that to a half hour every few days.

You are right, there is no treatment for lymphocystis - it usually clears up on its own after a few months and it is also usually nonfatal as long as the cysts don't interfere with eating, which fortunately isn't a problem here.

According to my fish disease book, testing for viruses is possible but it doesn't specify how. It only states that it's best to do so with a live fish.

I'm really happy JB is doing well despite what's going on with his back end. What a little fighter. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #23 
akhan

Before I went on a family trip, I gave him the usnea bath for about 15 mins and afterwards he developed a hole again in that same spot in his dorsal fin- do you think that's a sign of distress? He's doing good; active and swimming :)
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #24 
Sakura8

I'm not sure that would be a sign of distress unless the hole developed while he was IN the usnea bath, ie he was thrashing around a lot. I'm glad to hear he's active and swimming. He's an inspiration, being such a fighter like he is.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #25 
akhan

I don't think he was thrashing in the bath. I gave him a second one today, but he still has that hole in his dorsal fin
Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #26 
LittleBlueFishlets

How is he doing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #27 
akhan

He is doing really well! He's as active as ever and swimming well and eating normally :) he has a small hole in his dorsal fin still but sometimes it seems to close up mostly and heal up. I'm keeping him in his smaller tank and I change his water completely every second day and give him the usnea bath on that same day. I love him immensely; my favorite part about having him in his smaller tank is that I can put him on my bedside table when I go to sleep and when I wake up I can see him staring at me or sleeping in the corner of his tank closest to me. Another cute behavioral change I've noticed since he lost his tail, he wags more to recompensate for it when he swims and I think it's the cutest thing. He's amazing. I'm going to continue to take the best care of him possible.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #28 
akhan

Over the past two days I've noticed JB being sedentary. He is sitting on the bottom and pulsing his gill membranes pretty hard and I'm not sure what that means. He'll come up quickly for air and settle back down. He also didn't eat much yesterday. Any idea what might be going on with him these past few days or what I should do? I'm following my normal schedule with him but I thought he might be constipated and that I should perhaps fast him or feed him Daphnia for a day
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #29 
akhan

A quick response to this would be much appreciated. My fishy's eye became swollen a week ago and I treated him with Epsom salts and kanamycin thinking it was popeye. Recently he has been very sedentary, there's been alot of white particulate matter shedding from him, his plumage looks translucent and thin in some spots, and he's pulsing his gills hard. The vet could only think to suggest a baby aspirin to see if the anti-inflammatory might help his eye and everything that might have been going on with his tail. He said there's risks involved like kidney liver dysfunction or ulceration and there's no published literature on just adding an anti inflammatory to tank water. Please let me know what you think. Is ecotrin ok, should I even risk this, should I put a piece of the tablet in or crushed up. I'm worried and unsure if this is safe and/or helpful so please reply quickly with any ideas.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What dose of Epsom salts are you using?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote