Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 
Canis

Stocking Question

How many endlers/common guppies can I keep in a 10 gallon tank with a betta and an apple snail?

I have 4 right now, but I'm wondering if that is the max I can have? They are really cute, and super cheap at the LPS. I'm not sure if my problem would be more of space for the fish, or the bioload, so I'd like to add that I have two large sponge filters in there, some live plants, and it gets a 50% weekly w/c.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

4 of what exactly? Endlers or Common Guppies? I actually don't know the answer to this but I figured I'd ask anyway.

You can check with Aqadvisor.com to see what that says, although some have said that their stocking levels are conservative
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 
Canis

One of them is a pure endlers guppy, but the other three are actually mixes between common guppies and endlers XD I'd be adding more of the mixes though, because they're much cheaper (only 40c). And I tried Aqadvisor, but it kept saying 64% stocked no matter how much I messed around with filtration and tank size. I'd rather hear from the people on here, which may be more accurate information.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 
Gallium

Endlers and endler guppy mixes are pretty small and they don't have a super high bio load. I'd say you can happily keep 7-8 endlers and mixes with a betta in a well filtered 10 gallon tank. Just be sure to test everyone out as endlers and guppies are pretty notorious fin nippers.

I have four guppies with my betta in a 10 gallon, but I'll be removing one of the males, and occasionally my two females will have a brood of fry which get eaten up. I'd feel comfortable adding more to my tank, but I find four-five is a good number, but 7-8 is still within the realm of possibility.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #5 
Canis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Endlers and endler guppy mixes are pretty small and they don't have a super high bio load. I'd say you can happily keep 7-8 endlers and mixes with a betta in a well filtered 10 gallon tank. Just be sure to test everyone out as endlers and guppies are pretty notorious fin nippers.

I have four guppies with my betta in a 10 gallon, but I'll be removing one of the males, and occasionally my two females will have a brood of fry which get eaten up. I'd feel comfortable adding more to my tank, but I find four-five is a good number, but 7-8 is still within the realm of possibility.
Awesome, thanks! I keep an all male tank, so I don't have to worry about any fry. I haven't had any nipped fins, the guppies I have completely ignore the betta.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't go as high as 8 unless it's a planted tank. They do have a smaller bioload than guppies, or at least the purebreeds do, but mixes vary in size and consequently have a higher bioload. I'd go with just 6. :) Just my two cents, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 
Canis

I only have a few plants. I might go 7, but not 8. They aren't very big at all, so I don't think the bioload would be too much. My biggest one hardly makes an inch in length.