Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #1 
Kalari32

Which tank?

I'm trying to decide what tank I should get for Plunger.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
with
Gravel - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

or

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
with
Lightbulbs - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
GRavel - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
and I would get a sponge filter online
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I bought the first one for my first 10 gallon. I ended up getting rid of the filter but I see you have plans for a sponge filter which is great. I ended up with a Aqua-Tech 5-15 with a water bottle baffle.

And then the hood is nice, I'd heard people had trouble with it falling into the tank but I was just careful and I never had any problems until I gave it away to a friend and got a Marineland Single Brite LED lighting system. So the only thing I have left is the actual tank haha

But either way I think if you're going to disregard the filters, I would go with the second one because it's cheaper. That way you'll have more money for other things like your gravel, lightbulbs and stuff like that

So I vote second!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 
Kalari32

I know sponge filters are better for bettas.
I already have an airstone and air pump, however I have no idea how sponge filters work, or how to set them up.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

On the gravel, I'd go with the kind that isn't painted or epoxied. I think Top Fin calls it polished pebbles or river rock or something. All the colored gravels seem to lose color over time, which means it's going into the water -- I can't imagine that is good for the fish.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
Kalari32

Well I do have polished pebbles already, but they would be extensive cleaning.

I was told that black will make the color of the fish pop out, and make planted tanks better (I am going to make it a planted tank).

And I also have white and red rocks to create a pathway type thing in the tank also.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #6 
Kalari32

Oh also, if the colored gravel is made for aquariums, shouldn't be safe for fish?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #7 
peachii

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aquacultur...-Pets/10312734

Wal-Mart has this kit that comes with a hood and a filter, we've purchased 2 of them for our fish. It's a really good deal and we just replaced the light bulbs with the 6500 bulbs for the live plants. The plants are extremely happy with it. It's cheaper to buy a kit with a hood than to buy a hood seperate we have found.

It also comes with a LED version lid but it is not light enough to support plants.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not that the gravel is unsafe, it's just over longer periods of time it will loose it's color generally and possibly chip. However I use the Aqua Culture brand from Wal-Mart (because I'm cheap lol) and I've only seen a few chips, just take them out and you're all set ^^

However I am in the process of switching to black sand because I find it's a lot easier to clean, especially with planted tanks since you don't have to vacuum it out like you would gravel. You just go in circular motions over the top, bout half an inch to suck up the poo and debris. Yeah, you'll get some sand up the siphon but you'll learn how not to do that with time ^^

It's also easier for your plants to root in, but I've done planted tanks with gravel just fine

The only thing I really suggest not to do is half gravel half sand. Eventually your gravel will get into your sand and visa versa and it's just such a pain to keep up with. And then you'd really be sucking out a lot of sand when you clean the gravel part.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #9 
Kalari32

Well I didnt even think to look at walmart for tanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #10 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari32 View Post
Oh also, if the colored gravel is made for aquariums, shouldn't be safe for fish?

I love the look of the black, white and tan aquarium gravels. We purchased blue and clown puke with our first tanks, and those colors got old very, very fast. We have since replaced them all with different colors, all tans and white. The next tank we do will be with a black bottom. They won't hurt the fish.

And the few dollars more for gravel from Petco or Petsmart is worth it because Wal-Mart gravel takes forever to be cleaned out of the little dust particles.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote