Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #11 
Kalari32

Where could i get black sand for cheap?
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #12 
Kalari32

I just want my 10 gallon tank to look like a million bucks by the time im done setting it up ;D
Is having incandesant bulbs okay?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #13 
peachii

Tractor Supply has what is called Black Diamond Blasting sand, you need to clean it throughly but the price is wonderful, it's like 8.00 for a 50 pound bag. It's inert so you would need to use root tabs/fertilizer for live plants but I've not seen one bad comment about it from people who use it.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well there's a few different options.

You could go with the Black Tahitian Moon Sand from Petsmart, although 20 pounds is still going to run you about 20 bucks (<---lol I almost wrote buckets XD) BUT! It's going to be a lot easier to clean than if you got Black Diamond Blasting sand which would just need a super, super clean. So the Black Diamond you can get at a Track Supply store in 50 pound bags and I think it's only like 15 bucks or something.

You generally want 2 pounds per gallon, so if you did the 10, you'd use the whole 20. But if you're like me, I like to make hills and stuff to make it more interesting so I use a bit more.

So you've got some pro's and con's

Petsmart sand:
Con: A little more expensive
Pro: Easier to clean

Black Diamond or something similar:
Con: harder to clean
Pro: cheaper

EDIT: incandescent lighting is...okay. What you want to look for is something with a Kelvin around 6,500k, that's what natural sunlight is at. But you can use bulbs anywhere from 3,000k (If I'm remembering that correctly) to 8,000K and it will grow your plants. But the closer to natural sunlight the better. Also you want to look for something that will penetrate through the water, LED's and Fluorescent's are good at that. But that's more for higher lighting plants, if it doesn't reach the bottom much, high light plants will die.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-30-2013 at 05:10 PM.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #15 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari32 View Post
I just want my 10 gallon tank to look like a million bucks by the time im done setting it up ;D
Is having incandesant bulbs okay?

They definately are, we just used the 6500 bulbs because we have a ton of live plants. The brighter 6500 helps the plants grow better.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #16 
Kalari32

If I can find a used tank for sale in my area, would that be the better way to go?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that might be easier to do. I'd check on Craigslist to see what they've got.

Also another idea is that many places, including Petco/Petsmart sell just the tank so that's another idea if you're just going to replace everything else and those only run 12-14 dollars for just the tank. I always forget about that option lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #18 
jesssan2442

you can also check garage sales and thriftstores for tanks! I got a 10g for $5 at good will but, it didn't come with anything, not even a lid... If you are going to consider just getting the tank I'd say thats you best bet on the losest price!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #19 
NorthernLights

There are loads of things sold for fish tanks that are not safe for fish. I just bought a Top Fin silk plant that turned out to have a metal stem that I cannot remove. That kind of thing is VERY common. Plenty of the ZooMed line of products have that problem, but on them at least you can remove the metal with a bit of know-how. Lots of resin decorations have razor sharp edges that are left on there, and areas that can trap and kill fish.

In short, you have to be extremely vigilant to make certain what you put in that tank won't hurt your fish, because the manufacturers really won't do it for you.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #20 
Kalari32

I'm extremely glad i found this site (: You guys help a ton! I'm going to go buy a ten gallon tank at petsmart today, along with gravel and maybe some plants (: