Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #1 
Riverotter

You guys were an inspiration

My daughter reads here online, and sometimes I point things out to her and she was really moved by all the stories of betta rescue.

So, last week we had gone to the next town over where they had a super Walmart. With bettas. Bettas in filthy little cups with barely any water and green scum on the bottom.
My daughter looked at me with big, heartfelt eyes and said "Mom, we have to rescue one."

Yes, we had to rescue one.
Some of them were in surprisingly good condition. But there were 2 ... One was a crown-tail in pretty good health and with AMAZING jewel-bright colors, but a horribly hunched back.
The other was a much plainer, skinny pineapple veil-tail with some fin-rot.

After much debating, she chose to rescue the veil-tail. We hoped that with his good health and brilliant color, the hunch-backed fish was likely to live and might be sold, but the pineapple wouldn't live long enough for someone else to buy him.

Here he is, while first being acclimated to his new, 2-gallon home. This was after we had already added water to his cup twice.

It took a day and frozen brine shrimp before we got the poor guy to eat, but he is eating well now and recovering nicely. Except that he promptly tore his fin on that silly plant and we took it out - after which he sulked until we gave him a new one. His fins have nearly stopped curling at the edges and the rot is cleared mostly up.
DD is enchanted by his blue eyes and has named him Pineapple Pie, partly after National Velvet's Pie.

We go back to that town this weekend. If the hunch-backed fish is still there, he'll come home.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 
Briz

That's wonderful, I must say welcome to you and your daughter on the delightful world of betta keeping! It always starts with one... and you're already thinking about a second.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

Yay rescues! Good for you, Rivertrotter. I bet he will get better real soon now that he is in excellent care. :)
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
Riverotter

Thanks guys. She is thinking about one day having an official rescue and adopting them out once they're healthy, but I think this guy will be staying. :) I told her that every time she rescues one, she has to write 2 letters, one to the store manager and one to corporate. She's a good kid.

And thanks for the welcome Briz! LOL this is betta #5. After several years fishless, I've got a fish room and am thinking about devoting it to bettas. I always did like them. :)
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #5 
percyfyshshelley

Good job on the rescue! Sounds like you've got a great kid there, too!
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote