Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #1 
Tabby216

Unhappy Curved spine

I think she may have tb...shes been hanging at the top a lot and she is having a hard time balancing herself. It also seems she is losing her scales and there is discoloration on the head...I think she also has pop eye. Still eating like a pig and swimming active though but I think it may be a matter of time it will only get worse
Attached Images

Last edited by Tabby216; 05-30-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well, for me personally, it doesn't actually look like anything is wrong with her. Sometimes they just rest in that position, I have a baby that has a mild Swim Bladder problem that does that, she just floats up and takes on a slight 'S' curve to her.

She might be stressed, she will lose color when she's stressed so that could be the "discoloration" you're talking about. Is she in a sorority at all? If so that could be why she's missing some scales.

And from this view, I see no signs of Pop-eye which is great!

Can you get some pics of her side so we can see the scales you're talking about?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #3 
Tabby216

Shes alone in the tank and I could just be over worrying but yeah she's stressed out maybe because of the new environment of plants. When she swims there's no S shape but when she stops there's a S shape. So it's normal? She is also confusing me with her behavior of constantly floating at the top sometimes shes up there all day and sometimes she swims normally around. Here's pictures
Attached Images

Last edited by Tabby216; 05-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hmm I don't see any missing scales, just stress stripes.

She was moved there recently? If so, she's most likely just stressed out. If you could keep the lights off for a while she'll calm down.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #5 
Tabby216

ah okay. I think the problem is most likely swim bladder disorder but I only feed her once each day with few drops of omega one flakes. I also crush them into tiny bits for her highness. How can that be over feeding, I might have to get epsom salt if this continues on
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Does she float at the top and tip over uncontrolled? Or does she just sit at the top for a little while and then go off swimming fine?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #7 
Tabby216

she is up there for long hours and sometimes turn sideways a little bit but most of the time she's so high up there that her top fin can literally pop out of the water. She corrects her posture once she turns sideways also.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Does she have problems when she's just swimming around?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #9 
Tabby216

Yes she does she tries so hard to stay swimming at the bottom that her head ends up being toward the ground and her tail is all the way up. She is basically vertical
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, the S-shape could be caused by swim bladder disorder, as lilnaugrim said. This is especially likely, if she's also having buoyancy issues.

It can also be caused by constipation. Have you seen her poop recently? (I have a HM with a tendency towards constipation. If he starts to curve into a S-shape, I add some Epsom salt. He then poops, and the S-shape goes away.)

If this were my fish, I would add Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon. (Make sure the salt is predissolved before adding to the tank.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote