Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #11 
Tabby216

No I have not seen her poop in fact I rarely get to see this the last time was when I last put up a thread suspecting she had SBD and she pooped a big one that was the size of her eye. I will buy some epsom salt and try that, it won't effect the plants will it?
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol, sorry I just had to laugh a little at your wording.

I find it weird that in the pictures though, she looks very small and not bloated at all, although I guess she could have constipation and not be bloated? I always figured they went hand-in-hand with each other.

I'll let LBF take over from here
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #13 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Lol, sorry I just had to laugh a little at your wording.

I find it weird that in the pictures though, she looks very small and not bloated at all, although I guess she could have constipation and not be bloated? I always figured they went hand-in-hand with each other.

I'll let LBF take over from here
lol its true though and freaked me out when I first saw it.

Thanks for the help on ruling out the possible causes! :D
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon won't hurt plants. (In fact, it's often used as a fertilizer!)

Once you have the Epsom salt, let us know the tank size, and we can walk you through the procedure to add it. Also, you can cover the top of the tank with some plastic vegetable wrap. It'll increase the humidity, and make it easier for him to breathe.

lilnaugrim - I watched my constipated HM curve into a S-shape, and decided that maybe it's like when people get intestinal gas. It causes cramping in people, so maybe that's what's happening with them? Who knows! LOL And they're so small that a tiny amount of gas could cause their buoyancy to become off, making them go sideways. But again, who knows.... I do find that if my HM has any issues, I add a small amount of Epsom salt. Awhile later, he poops. (And yes, it sometimes is the size of his eye!) Then, the S-shape goes away, the buoyancy issues go away, and he's back to his normal happy self. *shrug* It seems to work for us. LOL

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-30-2013 at 09:55 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np!

EDIT: LBF that's really interesting! lol, poor little guy's suffering from gas XD that's the worst! haha I wonder if that's what my baby has, she's still taking on the slight S curve and floating at the top although she's been swimming around more in the past week and a half. And all my DT's are very prone to constipation, I should give the epsom a try when I see they haven't pooped in a while.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #16 
Tabby216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon won't hurt plants. (In fact, it's often used as a fertilizer!)

Once you have the Epsom salt, let us know the tank size, and we can walk you through the procedure to add it. Also, you can cover the top of the tank with some plastic vegetable wrap. It'll increase the humidity, and make it easier for him to breathe.
I will most likely get the epsom salt tomorrow and my size tank is 5 gallons. Also when my fish is cured from SBD do I have to do frequent water changes to get the epsom salt out of the tank or just leave it in there
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

I see you saw my Epsom salt post on the other thread.

After the treatment is over, don't worry about removing the Epsom salt all at once. As you do your regular water changes, it'll be removed from the tank.

The general recommendation is to do at least one 50% water change per week on a filtered 5 gal tank. (Per OFL's recommendation thread.)

I would try to do more frequent water changes though while the treatment is going on. This will remove any toxins that the fish may be shedding, or bacteria in the water.

Once the treatment is over, you can do a 50% change. This will take the concentration down to 0.5 tsp/gal immediately. Then, you can do another 50% change several days later, which will drop it to 0.25 tsp/gal. Plus, your plants will be using some of it, as well.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #18 
Tabby216

Ah thank you I will update on how my fish is doing after the treatment. I'm so relieved its not TB lol
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #19 
Ickbeth

Talking

you can try and feed him a little cut up piece of skinned pea if hes not interested try soaking it in garlic
Ickbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #20 
Tabby216

My fish appears better :)
She is exploring the bottom tank like a normal fish and I do see her spine curve a little but not as much as before.

I did a 50% water change and I am thinking of soaking her food in epsom salt since it seems she is prone to not pooping often.
Should I feed her like that on a daily basis or just until she fully doesn't have a curved spine?