Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 
TaraJets

Question Baby Betta care

My friend bought a baby betta from petco but then decided she didn't want it... She knew I had a betta before and pretty much insisted I have it. I'm happy about having this little guy, but I have no idea how to take care of him!

Currently, he (or she) is in a 2.5g tank with a heater. I fed him some crushed pellet because I didn't know what else to do... I have some frozen bloodworms and I can catch fruit flies. Should I feed him these for protein?? I'm just really lost right now. Thanks for any help.
TaraJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
hawkraven

live foods are good for him..
hawkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 
Canis

Just make sure you do water changes frequently, so his/her growth isn't stunted. Frozen bloodworms should be okay, just make sure they are small enough that the baby doesn't choke. Not sure about the fruit flies. Live foods are the best, but of course not everyone has access to them.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can also mix it up and use your flakes as well if they are a good brand. I put a little in a baggie and grind it up to a powder almost and feed that to my babies once they were big enough

Also, feeding 3-5 times a day is best to promote a healthy growth and a water change every 3-4 days is necessary so that they're growth isn't stunted as Canis pointed out. I'd do a 50% and a 100% every 3-4 days for him/her.

And I think that's really the only "special" care for babies, well all that I can think of at the moment.

I'd like to see a picture! I've gotten decent at telling gender as long as it's old enough So maybe I can help you out there ^^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #5 
Viva

Hi Tara. Sounds like you are doing great already. Feed the baby every 3 - 4 hours and feed frozen bloodworms and crushed pellets. They really love the frozen bloodworms. They have high protein content while the pellets give them necessary vitamins and minerals. Do frequent water changes, I'd do 50% daily or every other day because babies release a growth-stunting hormone that will make him/her not grow. Feeding frequently, keeping a constant temp, and doing water changes are needed for baby bettas. They grow up fast, its pretty amazing!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #6 
TaraJets

Thank you guys! I just fed him/ her some crushed bloodworm and pellet before going to sleep. Here are picturesssss! I'm sorry they suck... my dslr is out of battery so I had to use my cell phone.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #7 
logisticsguy

NLS Grow is an excellent pellet for juvenile betta. Just the right size and protein rich. This is jmho but stores should not be selling betta under 10 wks old minimum. They require a level of care that is higher than adults and are being sold to many people who are not as diligent as you to do the research. Most stores that do sell baby betta do not give the new owner enough info to be successful. Yes they are cute like all young things so they sell easy. When I saw babies being sold at a lfs near me I asked the staff about care for the baby and they were clueless, so of no use to the new pet owner and I spent the next 15 minutes educating them on how to care for them as they were very malnourished. Good luck with the baby and nice work learning how to care for it.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Congratulations, it's a boy!

Lol, he is cute ^^ looks like you've been doing well feeding him. What kind of bloodworms are you using? Frozen? Freeze-dried?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #9 
Fishy Mom

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if you're in a pinch getting more food you can use the egg yolk of a boiled egg in addition to the crushed pellets. I did this for my first baby when I got her and she grew like a weed. She couldn't have been more than a few weeks old when I got her. I could still see right through her body poor thing.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #10 
TaraJets

Thank you everyone! He seems to be doing very well. Call me crazy, but I think I'm already seeing some new fin growth and it's been one day.

@lil, I'm using frozen bloodworms, crushed by mua for his tiny mouth. ^.^

@Fishy Mom, That egg yolk thing will come in handy! I love boiled eggs but I never eat the yellows for health reasons.

Tags
baby, baby betta, fry care