Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 
Graceful

My betta Milo! What kind is he?

These are the best pics I could get. It's hard to photograph fish! Especially Milo. He's so active.

Thanks in advance!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like a blue Dragon Scale Halfmoon although I would need a picture of him flaring to know if indeed he is a HM.

HM's can get their tail up to a 180 degree spread, looking much like a half moon or the capital D. Anything short of 180 degree's is a Super Delta and then I believe it's under 160 degree's that it becomes a regular Delta or DeT.

He sure is a beautiful fish! I love his red ventral fins!

lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #3 
Graceful

Dragon scale? Neat, that sounds badass ;)

I had a little photoshoot just now, and snapped this picture. It's the closest he ever gets to flaring, unfortunately. I hope it's a little better than the first pic?

I've never seen this guy flare his gills or even completely flare his fins. Oh well!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Have you tried a picture of another Betta flaring or a mirror at all? That might help him flare, and no I won't be able to tell until he's fully flared

Also looks like he's got some minor fin rot going on, how long has that black been on his fins?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Have you tried a picture of another Betta flaring or a mirror at all? That might help him flare, and no I won't be able to tell until he's fully flared

Also looks like he's got some minor fin rot going on, how long has that black been on his fins?

Fin rot? D: I thought his fins looked fine, maybe it's just the picture. Do you mean his ventral fins? They look black in the picture but it's just a shadow.

EDIT: If he does have fin rot, what do I do?

Last edited by Graceful; 05-30-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No, I was looking at his caudal fin.

It doesn't look bad but it's hard to tell if it actually is rot.

In the event that it is rot, since it would be a mild case, I suggest getting some Aquarium salt.
  • If you have a small container like a 1 gallon tank or something of the like it would be best to put him in that since I see he's in a community.
  • Before you put him in, note his water temp, fill the QT container with like temp (run a thermometer under the water if you have to, I do that )
  • Measure out 1 teaspoon of salt and pre-dissolve it in a different cup with some conditioned water.
  • Pour into the QT container.
  • Scoop your boy out of the tank in a plastic cup or something that hasn't seen soap (red solo cups will do fine) grab some tank water as well so he doesn't dry up!
  • Add a tablespoon of the new water to his cup every 15 minutes or so for about an hour.
  • Gently release him to the QT container.
  • To keep him warm you can either get a small heater or float his container in his 10 gallon tank (that's what I do)
  • Do a 100% water change on his little container every day either until you see the black go away or you hit the 14 day limit. Repeat above steps everyday.
  • Do not use salt for more than 14 days as it can harm their liver and kidney's.

And then if he's got torn fins or you want to promote a faster fin growth use Stress Coat water conditioner in his water instead of the normal conditioner you use. It has aloe in it so it helps heal fins
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #7 
Graceful

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank, and I would really hate to have to buy one. I'm trying to save my money for a car, see. Is it possible to treat him while he's in the community 10-gallon? Or will the salt affect the other fish?

Is it OK to just wait a little while and see if it gets any worse, assuming he even has fin rot?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wal-mart has small critter keepers for 6 bucks, but I understand the whole saving for a car thing I am as well.

And no I wouldn't treat the community, there is a chance you could kill your snail since they are sensitive to things like that.

For the time being just wait it out and see if it get's worse. How old is he or how long have you had him? He looks pretty young to me.

EDIT: oh I forgot! I also use regular Plastic ware for QT containers. Like the ones you store food in, I buy a new pack at Wal-Mart, generally 2-3 bucks for a pack of three. Find out how much it contains, it should say on the package and then you can convert to gallons online to see how much salt you should be mixing up to treat him healthily
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #9 
Kalari32

You can use a the plastic cup that bettas come in when you buy them as a QT tank
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 
Graceful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
For the time being just wait it out and see if it get's worse. How old is he or how long have you had him? He looks pretty young to me.
I don't know how old he is. I have had him a little over 3 weeks though. Do you think the LFS I got him at would be able to take a guess about his age?

I feel bad quarantining him in a little container. What if I just take the snail out so it isn't affected by the salt? Or will the other fish be affected?

Sorry for so many questions! I am still new at this :)

Tags
betta, tail, tail types