Betta Fish Forum banner

Gallium Photo Dump, Natural lighting, (Is he a HM or a Delta?!) **PIC HEAVY!**

936 views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Gallium 
#1 ·
Alright so I tried to take some photos in natural light, but the only window I have faces the sun so the side I get photos in is shaded..whoops.

I've been told a, HM reaches a full 180..is he not reaching a full 180? I'd also like to breed him in the future, what should I look for in fins of a female to get improved finnage, but retain the copper line?

He's scales are growing back quickly, which is good, but his tail ripped while I was moving him over to the photo tank..I just can't win with this guy and his super sensitive body!

I'm going to post about 20 more photos here, just need to finish resizing and uploading them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh lol at first I was like "This isn't pic heavy!!" and then I saw your bottom line ^^

If it's all of him, I'd say he's an HM. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like he reaches the full 180.

However I've got nothing more to add for your questions :)

#3 ·
Alright here's an additional photos. I had my camera set to flat equalizer on the first ones so the colors are not correct. His color is more accurate to the pics in OP's photo, under daylight fluorescent tubes he's very, uh, pastel haha. Pastel blue and pastel purple.

Sorry they all kind of look a bit the same haha.

#4 ·
Very pretty guy you have there and he is definitely a HM.

#8 ·
Thanks!

I thought he was an HM when I got him but I had people telling me he wasn't and it was just so very confusing...

I used to use auto-focus because the fish moved so fast and I never got good photos. Manual focus helped a lot haha. It'd be nice if I had a small tank that wasn't so dinged up. I'd probably get nicer photos that way..but the "fish budget" is only for buying some new equipment for the tank this month. :p

#10 ·
A really good and cheap point-and-shoot is a fujifilm 5700. They don't make them anymore but you can still get like-new ones online. Mine broke a few months ago after many years of rough and tumble use so I upgraded to a canon rebel t2i..I love my t2i but the macro on the fujifilm is unbeatable for a point and shoot. You can get them for less than $50 now. I just bought another fuji and got it in the mail the other day and I just love it.

#15 ·
I havent even considered lenses for this (it was my anniversary gift <3 )) But yesh! I'm heading to the zoo next week and am really excited for the butterfly garden, so I'm gonna have to practice on my fish and figure out the settings!

I had my eye on this one for a while, and have always trusted Fujifilm, even tho some people at work were saying Canon was better (which imexperience, not so much - gotten a lot of bad cameras that break out of the box from them). But this one just fit my hand so perfectly~.

Unfortunately I'm total nubsauce when it comes to photography - the most I learned was from a pot smoking retired fellow across from my apartment years ago who explained it to me as 'painting with light'. He was wierd, but it taught me a super important life lesson; "Life won't wait for you. The sun will set, and the moon will rise, even if you're just a few moments late."

#16 ·
Yeah, I'm still fairly new to cameras in general, I can usually get pictures in focus and in the right color but my actual "artistic" value of my photos is pretty nil haha. I just really enjoy taking photos of animals.

Have fun on the zoo trip! One major tip that I learned early on with animals is you want a relatively low ISO (100-600, 800 max) with an open arpeture and a medium shutter speed. I'm not sure if your camera can control all those things but it should have the iso and shutter speed control, at the very least.

I've never had any other canon cameras, just this one, so I'm not sure about their other stuff. I just know fujifilm is a pretty solid brand and usually can take a lot of damage haha.

#17 ·
Damage is good, I'm a clutz. And thanks for the tips! I always forget about all the settings, and get too excited just taking photos >.< I have the box here and am gonna go through it and see what it has to say about different controls. Gah, I can't really make heads or tails of the menu options on the camera itself.

Again, I really do like your shots, and am tempted to steal some to practice my art on xD And you've got a very attractive model ;]

#22 ·
DeviArt FTW!

Sorry, just had to say it lol

I don't update my nearly enough either, grats on the Daily though! I always find them so beautiful!

Do you two just do photography? Or digital art as well? (Sorry way off topic, but this is interesting, I'm an art major lol)

EDIT: OMG they have a Betta group?! Going to find that now!

#23 ·
I'm relatively new to cameras. I use my Kodak EasyShare [not sure what type ...] but I ocassionally use my FujiFilms FinePix S4200. That camera is epic!

#27 ·
No problem, threads get derailed! ;)

I do digital art mostly actually, my photography is usually only broken out when I want to grab photos of animals or textures to use in my art later. I opened a tumblr for my digital art but I never update that either lol. This is what I'm currently working on actually. Linky. Though I'm terrible at coloring so I'm taking my sweet time with it..

I'll have to look into the betta groups! Might force me to be a tad more active. I was paging around the betta art section here and considering trying a few but I think I need to get a little more familiar with betta bodies first haha. Taking photos of Gallium really helps though!

#28 ·
Wow that's beautiful Gallium! I love the crisp lines, always my favorite part :-D you're anatomy looks wonderful too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.