Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #1 
s72450

Female Bettas and Zebra Danios?

I have my 10g tank that I'm in the process of planting and was given some zebra danios from a friend who could no longer keep them in her tank. I told her that I would put some in my 10g and the rest in my 29g. I've never dealt with them before but have noticed how hyper they are.

I have one of my females in the 10g right now, Delilah, and I'm afaid they might scare her being as active as they are. She didn't do well with the two corys that I put in there, I think they scared her and she hid most of the day so I fished them out and put them back into the 29g, now she's swimming around the tank happily.

I really need to not over-stock the 29g and was going to add four danios into the 10g, but not at the expense of stressing out Delilah.

So any thoughts?
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #2 
SolaceTiger

Danios are pretty highstrung IMO.. how much do you have in your 29 gallon already? How close are you to overstocking? If it were me, I'd try and get them into the bigger tank. Of course, it also depends on what else you have in your 29 to... don't want ze little danios to be fishfood. :P
SolaceTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

If Delilah didn't do well with cories I'd say danios would surely stress her out. They are just too damn hyper.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #4 
s72450

Okay I'll just move all seven into the 29g. There are only seven other fish in there right now.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #5 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Delilah will be delighted to hear that!!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #6 
SolaceTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by s72450 View Post
Okay I'll just move all seven into the 29g. There are only seven other fish in there right now.
What type of fish do you have in your 29 gallon already? That's really the only thing I'd be concerned about is the compatability, but if you were gonna put 3 in there anyway, then you probably know. :) And your tank shouldn't be overstocked then, but it depends on how big your current inhabitants are in the 29.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #7 
s72450

Right now in my 29g I have two platies, two mollies, two neon tetras, and a cory cat.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #8 
iamntbatman

You definitely have room in the 29 for all seven danios, as well as four more neons and five more cories. Just don't add them all at once, and keep an eye on your water parameters as you may have to step up your water change schedule with the increased bioload.

Some people say danios are nippy fish, but I've never seen mine nip anything but each other (and even then, only playfully). However, if your betta was freaked out by cories I would definitely avoid putting the hyperactive danios with her.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #9 
s72450

Thank's for the advice. I put a divider into my 10 gallon and left Delilah on one side and the remaining cory and four danios on the other to see how it works out. So far she's really curious about them but they are not her.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #10 
SolaceTiger

The only thing I wonder about now is if your 4 danios will be to stressed in such a small 5 gallon space, just cause of how active they are.