Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 
alwaysaBettaLover

Exclamation Augh!! Whats going on???

Ok so the other day, I noticed Sparkey had a small rip in his fins. I simply thought, whatever,and let it go, but today, I went to check his tank, and HALF HIS TAIL FIN IS MISSING!! This has never happened this bad (usually, it's only a small rip.) Help!!!!! Whats wrong with him? There is one small decoration that has somewhat sharp spines, but it's like leafs with small ones at the very ends. Not bad enough to cause this though!!!! He looks like- if he had a leg- he lost a leg!!omg!! Please help!!
And his tail fin FINALLY recovered just recently!!!
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #2 
shellieca

Is he tail biting? Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's most likely tail biting. This happened to my HM in my avatar as well it's not fun.

It sounds like he's got some sort of "tick" that makes him bite, is he in view of another fish at all? Does he flare a lot? Does he seem to be aggitated a lot at anything in particular?

I ask because my HM bit his tail, he was in view of another male and he couldn't get at him. So in frustration, he bit his own tail.

But to help him heal up, get some Stress Coat water conditioner to use when you change his water.

What size tank/how often do you do changes/any other inhabitants?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 
alwaysaBettaLover

No, he's not in any view of any fish, he's on my desk across the room from the other fish, and around a corner from Thor, and he doesn't flare much, but he dose get REALLY excited when he sees me. He doesn't seem agitated, or angry. He's just simply a happy fish. He's in a 5 gallon with a filter, bubbler, and heater along with an Apple snail. I don't think he's agitated at the snail, because he has never tried to attack the snail. In fact I have caught him sleeping over the snail before... He seems pretty happy but there is one problem, I can't find the rest if his tail so DID HE EAT IT???? I will try to get a picture of him soon, but he always moves so much.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah he could have eaten it, that's fine.

Is there a baffle on your filter at all? He could be not very happy about the flow of it.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
alwaysaBettaLover

No, there is no baffle. But because he likes to let the bubbles from the bubble run off his belly so I figured because the filter makes bubbles, he wouldst mind...
Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ehhh....are you completely sure that he likes them? Sometimes they try to attack things they don't like. Of course, we can't even know exactly what they feel haha, we just observe.

For a future reference or something you might want to try, here's the water bottle filter baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

and a sponge baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #8 
alwaysaBettaLover

Well earlier I posted a question on if he liked the bubbles cause he was letting the bubbles run off his belly and eating them (which I already told you,) and someone said he just liked the bubbles, but that was the bubbler. Because the bubbler makes bubbles on the surface too, the filter catchers them, and brings them back under while I guess sucking Sparkey into the current... man I do need a baffler...Ok, I'm posting the picture now:
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #9 
waterdog

Sounds like a case of too much water movement!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Whoops, forgot to respond to this one. But I agree, you can just try out the baffle and then see how reacts. If he misses his bubbles you can turn the bubbler back on at a lower intensity (tie a knot in the hose so you can regulate how much air is going through it)

I'd like to see the picture though