Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #1 
veilmist

Tank Upgrade!!!!

My poor boy Cadence has been in a (I cringe to even say) 1 gallon unheated tank for most of the last year. NOT ANYMORE. My wonderful boy is now in a heated 3 gallon, and we both couldn't be happier! For my 19th birthday my mom bought the tank, the heater, and some supplies. It's a Kritter Keeper and I'm so happy that he isn't in that tiny 1 gal minibow anymore. Ideal my butt. I know it's not a 5 gallon npt or anything but he is much happier now and swims so much more than he did before. I can't believe people think they are happy in those bowls and vases. I can tell them from experience that bigger is better. Thanks so much everyone for pointing my in the right direction!! Sorry for kinda babbling I'm just really happy.
Attached Images

veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #2 
shellieca

Glad you're both HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! 3G is fine so long as you do the maintenance so no worries. Did you use filter media from the 1g or did you have the filter running? If not you do know you're now doing a fish in cycle?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Congratulations! Yes he will certainly be much happier in there!

Hey, don't let anyone tell you that you absolutely need 5 gallons for a Betta! As long as you give him proper care (enough water changes and a heater) he'll be perfectly happy in those 3 gallons!

I do have a suggestion though: Plants! lol even if they are silk, he'd love some places to hide in and play in all day! Betta's especially love to weave in and out of plants But it looks great!

EDIT: to shellieca, I can see the filter is from the 1 gallon Minibow (I've got the same one) of course this is just me assuming the OP hasn't changed the media, but it is at least from the original bowl so if they haven't rinsed it, it should still be holding some BB.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Congratulations! Yes he will certainly be much happier in there!

Hey, don't let anyone tell you that you absolutely need 5 gallons for a Betta! As long as you give him proper care (enough water changes and a heater) he'll be perfectly happy in those 3 gallons!

I do have a suggestion though: Plants! lol even if they are silk, he'd love some places to hide in and play in all day! Betta's especially love to weave in and out of plants But it looks great!

EDIT: to shellieca, I can see the filter is from the 1 gallon Minibow (I've got the same one) of course this is just me assuming the OP hasn't changed the media, but it is at least from the original bowl so if they haven't rinsed it, it should still be holding some BB.
Yes I saw the filter which is why I worded the questions the way I did.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Yes I saw the filter which is why I worded the questions the way I did.
Whoops yup I see the now XD I have this terrible thing where I rush over words sometimes and then I have to reread them like four million times to actually get it into my head >.<
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #6 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Whoops yup I see the now XD I have this terrible thing where I rush over words sometimes and then I have to reread them like four million times to actually get it into my head >.<
Oh you are NOT alone on that. I've done it many times.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Just saying, this post from OP makes me want to cry from happiness. <3
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #8 
veilmist

Yes, it's the same filter media, so he has some BB. I really needed him out of the 1 gal because he was get so big, and his fins so long he could barely turn around. Just wondering, I haven't been on for a while, what does OP mean?

lilnaugrim, I am most likely going to get a plant for him, to my mothers dismay (she thinks that tanks should be mainly bare but her boy has a ton of plants lol) For right now he has be happily swimming around in his tower, his new favorite toy :)
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh np, OP is original poster.

That's pretty funny about your mom's boy, I personally love plants because I know my boys and girls love them as well! I've got live plants for all my tanks and a few silk left over from my early days haha. I generally use those for my QT tanks now though so Betta's in QT don't feel half out of place
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #10 
shellieca

A happy Betta is always fun! Just keep an eye on your water parameters since the filter is for a 1g as opposed to a 3g. OP means original post or poster.