Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

You ever feel like the Petstore people think you're a little nuts? (staring at fish)

I am selecting females for what I hope will eventually be a sorority. I have been in the same Petco several times. This one gets good fish and keeps them up better than other stores in the area. I know most people just find a fish they think is pretty and go. I am there for a long time inspecting the fish holding them up close, staring and comparing. There were some murmurs when I came in today. I know they are mystified as to what I am doing with these fish. Furthurmore I am now making them change the water for the fish that I am taking home so I don't have to contend with fish poop and refuse. That get their goat a bit. I was appalled to see just like someone said on another post the steal water from the other fish tanks to do the water change. Either wau I am pretty sure they think I am nuts.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #2 
Flapmon

I used to do that. They had a whole wall of them so I'd even squat down to try see the second rows or go to the female tank and REALLY strain to look at them. They'd just smile and stare at me, wondering what the hell I'm doing but then they got used to me and called me by my first name and joked that I should work there since I come in all the time. <<

I'd even know when they got new fish in.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #3 
Polkadot

When I was picking out my little ones I took AGES going from one to another,even after I'd picked mine I kept looking at all the others wishing I could have more.Whenever I go to the petstores for pet supplies (especially at my usual one) I always go over to have a look & say hello to all the bettas.The people who work there are used to me doing that now,lol.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #4 
Lost Eventide

When I was picking out more females for my sorority I did this xD I was scrutinizing every single betta seeing the majority were mis-labled (they had females as males, males as females, and don't even get me started on how off they were on tail types and such... they had several veiltail females with normal pectorals labeled as male halfmoon dumbos). I was going to say something but didn't bother seeing I'm sure most employees would have just thought I was trying to get a better deal.

However, I was there for probably about 45 minutes picking through every single cup trying to find females that were both appropriately labeled and healthy. It's a pity I wasn't looking for a male. There were some gorgeous male halfmoons labeled as veiltail females for $2.99 (with a further discount because they were on sale) but mom has made it clear I am not permitted to have any more tanks until I have moved out of her house xD

No one said anything, but I'm sure I looked really goofy rearranging rows of cups and comparing selections.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

round here, they're never mislabeled. It's a shame I can't get a deal ... xD Still, I ONCE got my male HMDT as a delta, so he was $7 instead of $15. At walmart, they just have females, VT males, and CT males. The females aren't labeled by tail type. So, they has a new, REALLY good batch come in and I got 2 HMEE girls for $3.82 each! :D Better than $40 at petco, not to mention the males ALWAYS being dead around here ...
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #6 
LizbethDawn

I was at petsmart today just getting frozen bloodworms but they were so swamped in the fish area I helped three families decide what fish they wanted so they would be ready when the ONE person who was actually working got the them and I helped a couple pick out what they needed to start a tank. Seriously. Why don't we work at the pet stores? I get insta-rejected because I didn't finish high school but what about you guys lol
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
I was at petsmart today just getting frozen bloodworms but they were so swamped in the fish area I helped three families decide what fish they wanted so they would be ready when the ONE person who was actually working got the them and I helped a couple pick out what they needed to start a tank. Seriously. Why don't we work at the pet stores? I get insta-rejected because I didn't finish high school but what about you guys lol
I'm working at my lfs as a summer job. I start next monday [not tomorrow]. :3 The manager is impressed at how much I know about the fish and handed me an application. My parents said no the first time, but I convinced them to let me do it. I'm 17, lemme do what I want! xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

The females at my Petco are only $2.39. I spent a long time picking my females. I let beauty influence my decision more in one case more than personality. So I think maybe I brought home a timid girl who probably won't be good for a sorority.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #9 
Flapmon

Wow, they don't overprice their fish there.
For a veil tail? It's $10
For a crown tail? It's $15

And it just goes up and up with tail type. They only ever put the VT's on special for $5 and the females are always $9.95.

At some point a privately owned pet shop high priced all their fish $15 for VT $23 for CT. It's hard to save them when they're so expensive... It's even worse when you get attached to a certain one but it's just ... Expensive. My recent boy is an EE and he was $33. The only type I'm looking for now is a red female or a light blue one... Hum. It's going to be impossible.

Might try aquabid. <<
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #10 
Polkadot

Yeah the US prices are great,lol.At my local petstore the bettas are $7 (and they are always beautiful fish) whether they are male or female or any tail type,most of their bettas they get are veiltails,but they also have crowntails.I was at Petbarn the other day & their Veiltails are $9.90,Halfmoons $29,and I think the Crowntails were about $15.At another Petstore they were selling EE's for $50.At an aquarium I went to a while ago their prices started in the $20's for Veiltails and went up (Crowntails),up (Halfmoons etc) & WAY up for Giants.But that place is very over rated & over priced.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote