Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

I so hated to walk away without them

I was in Petco close to my work. I hate this one they don't take care of their fish. Many fish were in very stages of fin rot and had only two inches of water. I was after girl they had three pretty ones one was an emerald green/black color with red fins a crowntail, a lovely blue green one and there was a nice Cambodian. All were suffering from some finrot and possiblly other problems. I gave one to the girl to put on hold told her to change her water and I'd come back and see if she'd look better tommorow in clean water. She was the blue baby and in the best shape. I may go back unfortunately I am not going to take her. I am thinking about buying her and taking her to another Petco I go to where they take better care if the fish. I figure it's a pretty bad idea to get unhealthy rescue fish for a sorority. They might heal up but would probably have bad immune systems. The girl in charge at this Petco is a really jerk to put it nicely. I was really angry when I left in general It's almost the worst I've ever seen. If I go back it will be with a camera and the pictures will go on Petco's facebook with the store# identified.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Yes name and shame them! They won't like it if things like that go public, might force them to clean up their act!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 
Lights106

:( so sad
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #4 
Polkadot

Geez these stories about Petco & Walmart are so sad.I cannot believe how uncaring people can be.How hard is it to fill a cup with fresh water for a little fish?
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #5 
peachii

I threatened to buy all the betta fish at one Petco in Knoxville and drive them across town to the other Petco so I could show the Store manager there. The bigger Petco in Knoxville really takes great care of their fish and the main lady who does the fish is so nice and helpful plus she has a lot of her own aquariums. They should hire people who love and care about animals - and put someone who loves fish in charge of the fish areas. You can always tell a difference in the fish in places where someone who works there loves fish. The larger Petco has had this one betta for about 3 months or more now, it's ugly - an almost washed out yellowish nasty greenish brownish color and you would never, ever be able to guess he didn't just get shipped in there. He is happy and healthy and always has a bubble nest going.

But anyway- since I threatened to do that - they changed the water immediately on all the Bettas and pretty much every time they see us coming now - they get ready and start water changes while i am in the store. They all think I am a crazy betta lady and the last few times we went in a few employees came up with "I was thinking about fish and I have these questions - can you answer them?" "I looked up and you were right, you can keep female bettas together, can you answer these questions for me?"

I am not to quiet when i see the fish in bad conditions but since we spoke up in the small Petco mostly the bettas care has improved a little.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

The lady that works in the Petco in this is rude and boorish and will angrily inform you the water gets changed once a week as it's supposed to. I am thinking of bring my water test kit into the store (just nitrite and ammonia). The have a sign up over the bettas offering to test your water. Pecto requires you bring in your reciept with your water sample and dead fish if your fish dies. Thus they can lecture you about your water quality. I think it's their turn.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #7 
Stone

Petco has never asked for a water sample from us, the little one in knox would be mighty hypocritical to lecture anyone about water quality lol
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote