Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 
snowsnail

Unhappy Does my Betta have ICH? Please help

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I wasn't quite sure where to turn to ask for advise...I don't know any betta fish owners personally and my local petstore seems to have no idea (or interest at all) in my concern for my fish.

This is Dragon. I've had him for about 2 months now and everything has been just fine until tonight. I came home from work and noticed he had these little dots on him. There are only a few (Six? Seven maybe?) I am sure he did not have them last night.

He is acting as he normally does. He is a very active fish. He frequently enjoys swimming through his plants and burrowing, so its hard to tell if hes just doing this because he normally does it... or if its because hes trying to scratch himself? He does not seem to be in any discomfort and does not seem to be scratching. he has not hurt himself or torn any scales or fins. His appetite is normal and hes been eating fine and still coming up to the surface for air without effort.

Yesterday I purchased a piece of driftwood for the tank. (He lives with a small bristle-nosed catfish and I heard that it was good for their digestion to have driftwood while growing) in a 5 gallon heated and filtered tank. I am setting up a larger tank in the next few months where the catfish will move once he gets a bit bigger but right now he is itty bitty. He also shares his tank with two snails and two oto cats. We have live plants that have been there from the beginning. The tank seemed to be in perfect harmony until adding the driftwood.

I do frequent water changes, 25-50 percent every week or two. (50 percent every two weeks and a 25 inbetween if it needs it.) I also test the water frequently to make sure its safe and not stressful to my fish. Usually I test the ammonia levels and such every other day because I'm a bit of a overly worried fishmom. I tested again after noticing the spots and everything seems perfect.

I don't want to rush out and buy medication if my fish is NOT sick, or risk stressing him out or hurting him by trying to fix a problem that isn't there but of course if he is sick, I will do anything I can to help him get better. I'm worried the driftwood might have been the culprit. should I get rid of it?

Also, no one else in the tank is showing any problems.

Also... if helpful, this is a picture of the driftwood.
(sorry if these are not the best photos. I don' have a camera and am trying to do the best I an with my phone.)

Thanks for any help...

Last edited by snowsnail; 05-30-2013 at 11:53 PM.
snowsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

I couldn't quite tell from the pic. Ich is generally smaller, but it would be good to get a better angle. Perhaps you can get the fish into a better position by feeding it something?

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 
shellieca

Looks like it could be Ich. Is your heater adjustable? If so slowly raise the temp over the next 24 hrs to 86F, do frequent water changes with a good vacuum. It may look worse in a day or two just keep the temp up & leave it there for at least a week after you see the last spot. You'll want to increase aeration because of the higher temp. This usually works & no meds needed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #4 
snowsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Looks like it could be Ich. Is your heater adjustable? If so slowly raise the temp over the next 24 hrs to 86F, do frequent water changes with a good vacuum. It may look worse in a day or two just keep the temp up & leave it there for at least a week after you see the last spot. You'll want to increase aeration because of the higher temp. This usually works & no meds needed.
Thanks! Unfortunately my heater is not adjustable... after reading up on it, I'm noticing people do not seem to recommend it as a good heater. I wish I had read the reviews of heaters before I bought the one I did, but this is my first tropical fish and I'm still getting the feel of things. :/

There is a pet supply store next to my house. I will pick up better one on my way home tomorrow and try this.

Will this increase in temperature be safe for my catfish? Oto cat and Bristle-nose cat? Would I need to move my betta to a new tank or should I treat my whole tank? The others have no dots on them, but I would hate for them to get sick too...
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #5 
snowsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I couldn't quite tell from the pic. Ich is generally smaller, but it would be good to get a better angle. Perhaps you can get the fish into a better position by feeding it something?

Maybe this is a bit better?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Treat the tank.

I give all my new fish a heat treatment or ich while they are in quarantine - 2 weeks at 88. I haven't found a fish that couldn't handle it, including BN plecos. Never kept Otos though.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 
Kalari32

I hope your betta gets better (:
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #8 
Lights106

My Bre is just getting over Ich. He was so miserable. But I feel like he and I have bonded more over it. I too wish I would have originally bought adjustable heaters. I now have 3 that don't. Guess who is going to be posting them to sell soon? Cat fish isn't tropical, right? I would take them out. I'd do teas watch on their ideal temps first and then go from there.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

There are many tropical fish that really aren't all that "tropical"

BN pleco will do fine at the 78-80 standard tropical temperature, as will the otos

Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #10 
snowsnail

Thanks everybody! :)

I will be picking up an adjustable heater tomorrow and will give this a try. Is a degree a day a good amount to go up? Two degrees a day?