Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #1 
magicalDYZ

Exclamation Betta acting weird, not sure what to do

I got two Betta's from a store about two months ago. One has not stopped making bubbles and seems as happy as can be. The other was doing the same up until about three days ago. Since the last time I changed his water he has been more or less just floating at the top of his tank and not eating. Also, he is looking very dull. I am not sure what happened to him nor what I should do about it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be very appreciated.
magicalDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

What and how often do you feed him?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #3 
Kim

We need more info. Tank sizes, heated, filtered, water change schedule? Do you use a water conditioner? Any other signs?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #4 
magicalDYZ

I feed him Wardley Essential, pellets, twice a day and then about once a week a few bloodworms. The tank is 2.5 gallons, it is not heated, but I have a thermometer attached to the tank that says it is around 75. No filter, and I change 50% of the water once every week. I use filtered water but have never tested it.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #5 
Kim

Have you checked ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? I'm thinking in an uncycled tank that size I would be doing 2 50% changes weekly. Also, you will want to get a heater. I don't know where you live, but it has to be winter sometime and bettas really thrive best in a temp of 78-80.

I don't really know what you mean by "filtered water" but what I really need to know is if you use a water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #6 
magicalDYZ

Do you know what would have made him turn around so fast? I do have a bubbler in both tanks, and used the same water to change the tanks? I guess I just cant understand why one Betta would be effected and not the other one. Other than that, if you think that a heater might save him, what kind would you recommend? and thanks again for your help.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #7 
Kim

Heaters are always good for betta tanks. I do not have tanks that small myself, but I have heard good things about the 25 watt stealth heaters in tanks that size. You want one with a thermostat, not just a "mini heater" which are often inaccurate and can cause major temperature fluctuations.

As for what could have made him turn so quickly, I was thinking something in the water from the water change (such as chlorine) but if you used the same water in both tanks that would not really explain it. It really is hard to tell, but some bettas are just more sensitive than others. Did you have any trouble when doing the water change, it may be stress. Also, sometimes stress can bring out other problems such as internal parasites. What do his poops look like/is he pooping? Brown is normal while white and stringy is a sign of internal parasites or constipation. Does he look bloated? Is he having trouble swimming straight, and does he seem unable to swim down? These are signs of swimbladder disorder.

Things like this are hard, so I am just really throwing things out there in hopes of stumbling on the right one.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #8 
iamntbatman

Hmmm...after two months' time, I would assume that the tanks are probably pretty well cycled by now, so I wouldn't suspect water quality issues. It's impossible to rule them out, though, so getting yourself a good liquid test kit and testing for the water parameters Kim asked for is a good idea. The test kit is really an essential tool, but in the meantime you can also take a sample of your water to a fish store and have them test it for you. Just be sure they use a liquid test kit or electronic probes and give you precise numbers for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

However, as I said it would be somewhat unusual for a tank two months old to have a sudden ammonia spike or something, so I would guess that there's something else wrong with your fish, such as the maladies Kim suggested.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #9 
Kim

Oh gee, I was mixing up a couple posts so I thought that they had done a 100% change, not a 50%. My error.