Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #1 
Roemgie

Bettas went crazy?? Sorority help needed!

Hey guys!

So May 23 - May 29 I was gone to a wedding. I asked my roommate to look after my girls and one boy and to feed them only once during that time (I lost a girl the day before because I accidentally left my tank top open and she had jumped out :'( )

Anywho when I got back my girls looked like they had been trying to eat one another!! And the worst is that Paddie and Maybelline were COMPLETELY clamped up. Right now I have separated Paddie and into a 2.5 gallon tank (with a teaspoon of Epsom salt). I left Maybelline in the tank because she's been hiding mostly and I didn't want to stress her by moving her.

Right now they are both breathing really hard. Maybelline has been mostly going under or trying to and has just been sitting there breath very heavy. Paddie has been swimming around more than Maybelline but they are basically 100% stressed out to the point they both look sick. Right now unfortunately my 20 long isn't cycled but the ammonia is zero and I did about a 20-30% water change yesterday and today just to make sure the water was nice and clean. I haven't added any salt to the 20 long because I didn't want it hurting my plants.

I've dealt with stressed bettas but I don't know what happened to those two because ammonia and everything else was 0 when I got back and I thought maybe they just got really hungry??

Maybelline:

Paddie:

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Was it just those three in there or were all your girls in?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Was it just those three in there or were all your girls in?
It was all 9 of my girls but only my petco bettas seemed to be effected
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Interesting, it could have been that your AB fish just ganged up on them, I've seen that happen before but where my Petco girls were almost obliterated by the 4 siblings I have.

The new girls weren't QT'd before they were put in, right?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #5 
peachii

The fins I can see don't look to badly nibbled on. Is you tank on a timer for the lights? maybe the lights got left on (or off) the entire time you were gone or they didn't get fed. Or maybe these 2 girls have an attachment to seeing you feed them and talk to them everyday and had a bad reaction to not seeing you for a week.

I've had 2 fish that if they go more than 5 hours of not seeing me, they stress stripe, clamp up and pace the front of the tank and/or hide- nearly head bashing when they finally see me.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
Fishy Mom

Well, since one girl passed away that would mess up the chain of command a bit. While they were sorting out a new pecking order you were away too, which changed up their routine. They are probably very stressed right now poor things.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Interesting, it could have been that your AB fish just ganged up on them, I've seen that happen before but where my Petco girls were almost obliterated by the 4 siblings I have.

The new girls weren't QT'd before they were put in, right?
See it was only my petco girls that seemed effected, none of my girls are siblings so I don't know what happened.

And they were quarantined for a week and a half though
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #8 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
The fins I can see don't look to badly nibbled on. Is you tank on a timer for the lights? maybe the lights got left on (or off) the entire time you were gone or they didn't get fed. Or maybe these 2 girls have an attachment to seeing you feed them and talk to them everyday and had a bad reaction to not seeing you for a week.

I've had 2 fish that if they go more than 5 hours of not seeing me, they stress stripe, clamp up and pace the front of the tank and/or hide- nearly head bashing when they finally see me.
Yeah I was thinking maybe the lack of my stressed them out. And I usually don't use my tank light unless to take pictures, I just keep my room lights on. I had my roommate feed them once and she was here every day but I doubt she would have been talking to them. Even the tank top had a lot of droplets (meaning the tank top hadnt been lifted for a while.).

I'm still not sure if I should move Maybelline or leave her
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Where they in constant sight of each other?

When I QT new girls now (I know this is different from your situation) I have them in my 1 gallon that I float in my 33 so that they can clearly see each other for the two weeks that I've got them in there and no harm will be done to them. And then they are much more likely to enter into the sorority at the bottom of the totem pole and not really care much, at least that's been my experience so far.

But I agree with the others, the one girl dying disrupted the balance and so they had to reorganize everything pretty much. But it could also be the fact that you weren't there for them which I know stressed out some of my Betta's as well and then they brighten up and go all crazy when they see me.

I would keep them in view of the other girls for sure, floating their QT tanks in the bigger tank would be best and keep everyone separated for about a week or so until your Petco girls liven up a bit and are strong enough to reenter the sorority.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #10 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
Well, since one girl passed away that would mess up the chain of command a bit. While they were sorting out a new pecking order you were away too, which changed up their routine. They are probably very stressed right now poor things.
Yeah, trust me I didn't want to leave. Colorado was great but not only did I leave my horse and the barn cats but also all the animals I feed at Swan Lake, my girls and boy, and I had am exam when I got back.

And now I'm heading home until Sunday to help out my parents with house sitting so I'm nervous to leave but at least everyone seems fine besides Paddie and Maybelline