Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #11 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Where they in constant sight of each other?

When I QT new girls now (I know this is different from your situation) I have them in my 1 gallon that I float in my 33 so that they can clearly see each other for the two weeks that I've got them in there and no harm will be done to them. And then they are much more likely to enter into the sorority at the bottom of the totem pole and not really care much, at least that's been my experience so far.

But I agree with the others, the one girl dying disrupted the balance and so they had to reorganize everything pretty much. But it could also be the fact that you weren't there for them which I know stressed out some of my Betta's as well and then they brighten up and go all crazy when they see me.

I would keep them in view of the other girls for sure, floating their QT tanks in the bigger tank would be best and keep everyone separated for about a week or so until your Petco girls liven up a bit and are strong enough to reenter the sorority.
Unfortunately i got them and had them with me at home while my 5 girls were at Berry. When I got back I slowly introduced everyone and right now my quarantine tanks are my 2.5's so I cannot float them lol and my 20 long tanks up my entire desk space.

I did lose my girl Kat the day I had to leave for the airport...I never thought about that until you guys mentioned it actually. I am thinking about putting Paddie back in the tank while I'm gone until Sunday, she is swimming a lot better but her fins are still very clamped. And of course I just found a crack in my tank so I don't want something happening while I'm gone -_-

right now I really don't have a way to separate the girls but maybe its because I'm here or what but no one has been nippy or aggravated with anyone. Of course its been a week so they could have settled themselves already :(
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #12 
Roemgie

Quote:
Where they in constant sight of each other?

When I QT new girls now (I know this is different from your situation) I have them in my 1 gallon that I float in my 33 so that they can clearly see each other for the two weeks that I've got them in there and no harm will be done to them. And then they are much more likely to enter into the sorority at the bottom of the totem pole and not really care much, at least that's been my experience so far.

But I agree with the others, the one girl dying disrupted the balance and so they had to reorganize everything pretty much. But it could also be the fact that you weren't there for them which I know stressed out some of my Betta's as well and then they brighten up and go all crazy when they see me.

I would keep them in view of the other girls for sure, floating their QT tanks in the bigger tank would be best and keep everyone separated for about a week or so until your Petco girls liven up a bit and are strong enough to reenter the sorority.
Also when I quarantined my two first aquabid girls i did have them side by side with Maybelline so they knew each other 2-3 weeks before they went together
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Alrighty then, I'd add them back in, at least Paddie but just keep a hawk's eye on them for the rest of the day to see what happens. It could just merely be the fact of the tank cycling that was stressing them out and causing them to clamp.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #14 
Roemgie

Quote:
Alrighty then, I'd add them back in, at least Paddie but just keep a hawk's eye on them for the rest of the day to see what happens. It could just merely be the fact of the tank cycling that was stressing them out and causing them to clamp.
Ok I'll add her in slowly, and currently I'm not cycling their tank since I don't like the idea of a fish in cycle and I'll be moving in about 2 months to my room for the year so I figured it may be best to just wait. Although I think my 5 gallon cycled survived :)
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #15 
Roemgie

Quote:
Ok so Paddie was fine when added but was stressed. She was swimming around with the rest of the girls and Maybelline was still in hiding :( so ill be back Sunday and everyone was fed. I spent 10am to 5 pm in my room watching them and cleaning my room to keep my girls company :)

But at least Maybelline's fins looked a little better but not by much :/
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay that's good then I'm sure they'll be fine for a day ^^
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #17 
Roemgie

Quote:
Okay that's good then I'm sure they'll be fine for a day ^^
Thank you!! And I will reply to your other awesome posts :) I just feel so busy but really just lazy lol
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahaha, no problem! I totally understand!

I'm feeling super lazy but it's because we just had a nasty heat wave come up and knock me on my tushie! So I'm super tired after a very exciting day ^^
Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #19 
Roemgie

Quote:

I'm feeling super lazy but it's because we just had a nasty heat wave come up and knock me on my tushie! So I'm super tired after a very exciting day ^^
Yeah I feel you! I work on grounds crew at college so I get plenty of sun -___-

Also I just wanted to update you and let you know that both Paddie and Maybelline had gotten worse over the weekend. I have them both in separate 2.5 gallon tanks and my 3rd petco girl is slowly clamping up herself...I don't know if maybe my ammonia readings are way off or maybe those girls aren't as tough?? My red headed girl looks fine but sometimes she just stops and sits there. She doesn't do anything but it seems like she just takes a minute to pause and sometimes it takes a good deal of my finger in her face (waving in front of her) to get her to 'come back'.

I personally cannot think of a disease since everyone is healthy but I do think that the stress of losing one girl and the reordering of my girls stressed Paddie and Maybelline to the point of sickness.

Maybelline is very willing to eat but is breathing very heavy where as Paddie seems more come and looks at the food but even her pectorals are clamped up! So she doesn't make much effort to go after the food. I've been feeding them New Life Spectrum mostly and I'm thinking tonight I'll get out the frozen blood worms to make everyone happy.

Currently the 7 in the 20 look good except my 3rd petco girl whose slowly clamping up (could be because I wasn't home and they were stressed out?).

My boy, Maximus, is doing great with the snails :) I need to head to work so I was going to test the water right after (4:30-5:00 pm) to make sure the cycle actually survived but any who. I will grab my computer so I can actually reply to everything!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #20 
Roemgie

Quote:

Also, I transferred my two sponge filters from my 5 and 10 until my 20. The cycle never took (or as of right now I believe it didn't but I'll test it later). I had the 5 gallon going for a while without a filter and when I added Maximus I out a new one in there and because I was missing my extra strainer and whisper airpump I disconnected one of the sponge filters in my twenty thinking 'It's not doing anything'. Well I just reconnected it and noticed that it had a lot of brown stuff on it. I assume its dirt or alege or whatever but when looking at Tiblu (my 3rd petco girl) I noticed she bad some little particles on her and the water seems to have them.

I'm not wondering if I should just do a big clean up through out the entire 20 gallon since Maybelline and Paddie are so sickly and they've been in there. I figured if anything maybe I should take the sponges out and clean them out? Any suggestions?