Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I would do a big water change then since the cycle is kind of "out of town" so to say lol

That way whatever is in the water can pretty much be taken out and you can sort of "start anew". I know you're still busy and all but I reallly realllllly think you should get some plants and do the Silent Cycle so you'll never really have to worry about re-cycling it again.

As for now, I'd keep the sick girls out so that they don't become prey again. It could be that they are weaker because of poor upbringing on Petco's part, the Thai fish just came from their breeders so they've been built up with live foods all their lives and stuff so it's easy to see that they would be "stronger"

But I would leave those girls out for now until they're strong enough again. Can you get plastic-ware from wal-mart, like 2 bucks for a pack of three? That way you can float them in the tank so they can still see the other girls but no one can get hurt? That would be the best bet and change water every other day on them for two weeks so they are all comfortable again. Then release one at a time.

That's pretty much all I can offer at this point :/ I'm sorry
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #22 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I would do a big water change then since the cycle is kind of "out of town" so to say lol

That way whatever is in the water can pretty much be taken out and you can sort of "start anew". I know you're still busy and all but I reallly realllllly think you should get some plants and do the Silent Cycle so you'll never really have to worry about re-cycling it again.

As for now, I'd keep the sick girls out so that they don't become prey again. It could be that they are weaker because of poor upbringing on Petco's part, the Thai fish just came from their breeders so they've been built up with live foods all their lives and stuff so it's easy to see that they would be "stronger"

But I would leave those girls out for now until they're strong enough again. Can you get plastic-ware from wal-mart, like 2 bucks for a pack of three? That way you can float them in the tank so they can still see the other girls but no one can get hurt? That would be the best bet and change water every other day on them for two weeks so they are all comfortable again. Then release one at a time.

That's pretty much all I can offer at this point :/ I'm sorry
See I did a huge water change a while back. Should I also rinse the sponges just in case? They defiantly look like they've got stuff on them and I assume that's just all the stuff from my 10 and 5 when they were running.

The only reason I haven't jumped to cycling my 20 gallon long is because I'll be moving it home around August 8 and then I'll be coming back around August 27 to move back in for the fall and I personally don't know how I'm going to even move it with all the gravel already so leaving some water in there will be like a 4 person moving job lol and sadly I may be on my own moving back home for the 3 weeks but I will have help coming back for the fall.
I have though been thinking about maybe just separating the girls again and have two sororities?? 5 in one and 4 in another 10 gallon...it'll be a lot of tanks (since I'm going to bring my boy from home and I have Maximus and they'll both be in 5 gallons).
Also God forbid Maybelline and Paddie don't make it that'll be 7 girls :( and I thought about maybe putting them in a 10 gallon (although I do personally want to keep the 20 long because its just so nice and big for all of them! The only problem is the whole cycling part because I honestly don't know how I could transport the 20 gallon with 20-30 pounds of gravel in there -___- I am thinking about taking out some gravel since I got way to excited when putting it all in lol.

But anywho I'll do about a 70% change? I'll wait to hear from you though because if I do go through with that I'll just clean the filters...Maybe I could even put one back into my 5 gallon and hopefully that cycle will start up again?? I am looking into getting lots of plants for my 2 five gallons because they are easy to transport (easier shall I shall I say lol).

But anywho thank you for your advice!! I always appreciate it! And I would float the girls but right now they're so stressed to the point were I don't know if floating them will be good since I'm worried it would stress them out even with plants in there :( I'll get some pictures up later when I actually have my camera with me!
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Sorry I kind of skimmed the first lot of posts, but are two of the females clamped up and one (or both of them) breathing heavily?

Have you honestly looked at external parasites such as ich/velvet causing the problems.

Sometimes at the start of the infection, the only place you will see these is on the fin membranes between the rays and around the gills. You really need a bright flashlight to see the cysts at this point, as they are often quite small and easily missed with the naked eye.

I'm not saying it is definitely this, but external parasites will cause clamping and heavy breathing. They are also easy to miss and often at the beginning of an infection, the fish will still eat and maintain a normal level of activity.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You actually could have all nine (I think you have nine?) girls in the 10 gallon tank, there are people on here who have done that before as long as you've got enough hiding space, they'll be perfectly fine. But I know you still want to keep the 20 long.

Is it possible you can get any Tetra Safe Start? Because that is the only thing I can think of right now that would help this situation. Then your girls would be safe till August and help the cycle start.

I think the filters were doing just fine collecting all the debris from your tank. Do you swish them at each water change? That would help keep them clear of most debris.

And yeah, keep those girls out for now so they can heal up properly. I'm not certain about parasites but I would take LBF's suggestion into consideration at this point just to make sure.

So I think at this point, leave everyone pretty much alone and see how it pans out, keep testing and just do enough water changes to keep the ammonia down so it doesn't stress your girls out even more. Sound alright?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #25 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Sorry I kind of skimmed the first lot of posts, but are two of the females clamped up and one (or both of them) breathing heavily?

Have you honestly looked at external parasites such as ich/velvet causing the problems.

Sometimes at the start of the infection, the only place you will see these is on the fin membranes between the rays and around the gills. You really need a bright flashlight to see the cysts at this point, as they are often quite small and easily missed with the naked eye.

I'm not saying it is definitely this, but external parasites will cause clamping and heavy breathing. They are also easy to miss and often at the beginning of an infection, the fish will still eat and maintain a normal level of activity.

Yeah both of my girls are clamped but only Maybelline is actually breathing very heavy :(

Yeah I have had that thought in the back of my mind espically since my thrid petco betta has slightly clamped up and one of my girls has been just going into a corner and resting or just stops for a little bit.

Ok I just went over them with my camera flash (yeah I know not the brightest light but i didn't see anything unusual and everyone did look normal). What would be a good method to just make sure without hurting anything? I do have some medication called 'Para Guard', would that be safe to do as a proaction?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the external parasite medications are very easy on fish. Most contain things like copper, formalin and malachite green, and if you do have an external parasite like ich/velvet involved you are looking at several weeks of treatment due to its life cycle. During this time you usually black out the tank (velvet can photosynthesise and malachite green is light-sensitive) and bump the tank temperature up to around 84 degrees.

Therefore, you kind of need an actual diagnosis/some evidence of an infection before you decide to go down that path. A lot of people stop ich treatment early believing the parasite is gone and then end up with a re-infection later down the track.

Are any of your females scratching themselves or showing any abrasions around their heads/gill area?

Unless you can see clear evidence of parasites on your females I probably would not start treatment at this point in time.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #27 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You actually could have all nine (I think you have nine?) girls in the 10 gallon tank, there are people on here who have done that before as long as you've got enough hiding space, they'll be perfectly fine. But I know you still want to keep the 20 long.

Is it possible you can get any Tetra Safe Start? Because that is the only thing I can think of right now that would help this situation. Then your girls would be safe till August and help the cycle start.

I think the filters were doing just fine collecting all the debris from your tank. Do you swish them at each water change? That would help keep them clear of most debris.

And yeah, keep those girls out for now so they can heal up properly. I'm not certain about parasites but I would take LBF's suggestion into consideration at this point just to make sure.

So I think at this point, leave everyone pretty much alone and see how it pans out, keep testing and just do enough water changes to keep the ammonia down so it doesn't stress your girls out even more. Sound alright?
Yeah I know you can but i feel so bad especially since I have the 20 gallon! lol

I unfortunately don't have any of the Tetra Safe Start with me but I can order it. Would it help make sure they're not hurt and the cycle happens?

And no I usually don't mess with my sponge filters so when I do a water change tonight I'll go over them with the gravel vacuum to clean them more. And I won't do too much to not over do it.

I have Para Guard but that is it (and maracyn two). So if I can put those in without fully have a diagnosis than I'll do it but I don't wanna hurt anyone!

That's what I've been doing so I don't mind to keep doing it :)
Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #28 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the external parasite medications are very easy on fish. Most contain things like copper, formalin and malachite green, and if you do have an external parasite like ich/velvet involved you are looking at several weeks of treatment due to its life cycle. During this time you usually black out the tank (velvet can photosynthesise and malachite green is light-sensitive) and bump the tank temperature up to around 84 degrees.

Therefore, you kind of need an actual diagnosis/some evidence of an infection before you decide to go down that path. A lot of people stop ich treatment early believing the parasite is gone and then end up with a re-infection later down the track.

Are any of your females scratching themselves or showing any abrasions around their heads/gill area?

Unless you can see clear evidence of parasites on your females I probably would not start treatment at this point in time.
Yeah I've done research into Ick and velvet but I have to admit I've been trying to not think about it coming after my girls!

And I really would prefer to wait regardless but the last thing I want to do is put them in harms way and start something that may not be needed at all.

No my two that were clamped up though would wedge themselves under things like under my silk plant bottoms or between my rocks and caves but they never scratched. I have been watching out for that but I haven't noticed that at all. And I don't see any abrasions either.

I'm just hoping its stress and nothing more (of course nothing would be better than stress but you know :/)
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #29 
Roemgie

Here's a video of Maybelline :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReoJocw31DU
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh geez, the poor girl was she the worst out of them?