Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #1 
Stone

anyone have experience with Synodontis, Ocellifer Catfish?

Months and months ago I was at my local walmart and was browsing fish to stock a 29 gal and a 46 gal with I needed bottom feeders and walmart had Synodontis, lace Catfish. I had seen them before and had looked them up and saw they only got to be 4-5 inches or so, so i purchased 6 of them, after a few weeks well maybe 2 I noticed one of them was a lot lighter colored and well a lot bigger than the others, they were about an inch long when I bought them, so I observed him and saw his body shape colors and marking and looked at so so many photos of catfish trying to ID this guy, then one day I found it he's a Synodontis, Ocellifer Catfish and I was like hmmmm looked him up on the net said not many people bred them, they are hard to breed, most do it with hormones, and the fish costs about 25 dollars, which was like sweet I paid 4 dollars for him, then I looked at how big he is supposed to get and it says 8 inches which is fine, but I rarely rely on one source so I continued looking and well there really is not all that much out there, a lot of it contradicts and some say in the wild they can get up to 2 feet long, So my question is to any who have this fish and have had it for a few years , how big is it?

mine is probably right around 5-6 inches and chubby as chubby can be, a very beautiful fish and it is very shy till it is used to it's surroundings and is a very peaceful fish for those wondering.

Last edited by Stone; 05-31-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote