Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #1 
Gadstrike08

Betta Sick

I posted last week about my Betta who i found out of his water and put him back i, he survived and is swimming normal and eating fine. However, he seems to be discoloring abit, i did use some bacteria and fungus stuff since he was out on the floor. What is the discoloring from and how can i help fix it??
Gadstrike08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #2 
Kim

Do you mean his color is just fading? We would need a bit more info or a picture to really be any help.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #3 
iamntbatman

Bettas can lose color if they're stressed. Unfortunately, there's a looooong list of things that could be causing this stress, so we'd really need to narrow it down. How big is your tank? Are you using a heater and filter? How often do you do water changes? If you have a test kit, can you post your water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Are there any other visible signs of illness?
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #4 
Gadstrike08

He fell out of the tank awhile ago and he had tail rot which we treated now he seems to be losing his color, just fading from bright red to a lesser shade...he has a small tank the normal size fish bowl id say and i change it about once a week. He seems happy and swimming around since his jump out of water but he is just fading...??
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #5 
Kim

Is it getting colder where you live? Bettas really need a stable temperature in the 78-80 degree range. Also, in a bowl that size you should really be doing 2-3 water changes per week. I suggest getting at least a 2.5 gallon tank (min. size recommended for bettas) with a heater and small filter (a sponge filter or small hang on back filter such as the azoo will work great). You should also invest in a good liquid test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels so that you can find a good water change schedule to keep water quality optimal.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #6 
Gadstrike08

okay thanks so is the color change okay...or is he sick?? i will look into a new tank
Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #7 
Kim

The color change is most likely stress. Are there any other symptoms? Do you know the temperature of the room where he is?

Also, what medications did you use? Was it one med. or two that you used in conjunction with eachother? Some meds don't mix well and that could be causing him stress. Is he still on the medication?

Is it possible to get a picture? It really is hard to diagnose something like this because the symptoms are so broad and could be attributed to a number of things. Upgrading his home would certainly help in any situation though, and will help keep him healthier in the future.