Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #1 
BettaBabe16

Tanks- which kit brand gives you a filter that is not too strong for Bettas?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, though I have had a Betta before. I plan to get another in January 2009 and right now I'm planning to get a new Tank (I had my other Betta in a one gallon bowl with no filtration and it was a pain in the butt to keep clean lol) and other new supplies. I was looking at the Eclipse 3 to get, but people have been saying that it has too much of a strong filter for a Betta and that it would cause stress for the Betta and then lower its immune system. Does anyone know of any tanks that comes with filtration that isnt too strong or harmful to a Betta? If you have any recomendations, please post em here! Thanks =]
BettaBabe16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #2 
Kim

I've never used any tank kits, so I really can't help you there. What I have found to work really well is a standard 5.5 gallon glass tank with a 25 or 50 watt heater (mine is the visi-therm 50 watt) and an azoo palm filter turned all the way down. This filter works great and hardly creates any current at all. Then just get a top (and light if you want) and you're good to go. Doing this is just as cheap if not cheaper than any of the kits. I order my supplies at drsfostersmith.com in case you're interested. Hope this helps.

By the way, do you know about cyling a tank? A 5.5 gallon is easily cycled and will cut your maintenance time in half. Just do a 20-25% water change each week. This also is much less stress on the betta than 100% water changes, which keeps them healthier and happier. My guy practically attacks his food right after a water change, while I have heard of bettas getting stress striped for hours after 100% water changes on small bowls. I just can't recommend this setup enough and would be happy to explain cycling if you don't know how.

Hope this helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #3 
Cody

The Eclipse Tank have very little flow from the filter. All Eclipse models do. I have seen this from an Eclipse corner, an Eclipse 2 and 3 hood, and an Eclipse 6. All have very little flow.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

+1 on Cody's info. My betta is an Eclipse 6 and is happy & healthy as he could be. I highly recommend this tank as a forever betta home.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #5 
Tyyrlym

I have an Eclipse 6 and so far the flow has been pretty strong but localized directly in front of the filter outlet. I've been looking to reduce the flow it makes but my betta seems to be happy enough. Most of the tank is nice and calm.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #6 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Yep, it's the exact same with my tank. I was going to add something to diffuse the flow of the filter until I noticed my betta will actually swim around directly underneath the flow. When he's had enough he simply swims over to the other side of the tank where it is calm.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, filteration, new tank