This morning I woke up to find my beautiful betta, Scoli, caught underneath the Whisper filter and his fins are destroyed
. At first he was barely moving or breathing. He swam around erratically a couple of times and now he is hiding and breathing more normally.
Any advice to help him heal quickly and avoid infection would be appreciated. Should I up the salt that I put in? Right now I put very little because of the plants but I've read that bettas do well with salt. Should I continue using NovAqua instead of StressCoat? Should I offer him food? Should I do a big water change since my nitrates are getting high? What temp should his tank be at?
Also, this is a warning
to anyone with a similar filter to cover the seemingly small filter intake with nylon. I didn't imagine that this could happen.
This is my first post. Here are the answers to the 17 questions:
1. 5 gal
3. almost 5 months
4. one betta
5. yes but I have another tank to put them in for treatment if needed
6. 72 degrees. I have a heater to add today. I thought that 74 was ideal until I was reading some threads posted. Is 78 to 80 better?
7. Whisper Micro Filter
9. yes - low light
10. 2 weeks ago. 50%.
11. Every 2 to 3 weeks
12. twice daily. Betta pellet food by Aqua Culture 4 pellets. Once a week 3-4 freeze dried blood worms.
13. LED light by Marina - always on. 15 watt bulb that came with aquarium - on during the day every other day.
14. fish got caught in filter and fins are shredded badly.
15. pH 7.6, ammonia just over 0, Nitrite under .25, Nitrate 10
16. API liquid
17. July 2008. This fish - aggressive, alert, had a bubble nest.