Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lupin, thank you for the info on salt. I had been looking for info on why I shouldn't use it. I won't use it anymore, except to treat illness.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #12 
uluvsweetsdontu

I'm taking your advice...

Thank you all for your feedback and I took notes. My little Scoli didn't make it. Pretty heartbreaking but a lesson learned. My other betta, Wildfire will benefit from the advice passed on. I have his heater going and the tank temp is 76 but I'm still tweaking it to get it to 78. I just got some frozen brine shrimp for him and he loved it. Next time I will get some frozen blood worms and I will toss the freeze dried version immediately. It's nice to know that there are others who care in a time of crisis. Thanks again!
uluvsweetsdontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Scoli.But , like you said, it was a lesson learned. This forum is a great place to come when you need questions answered.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #14 
Kim

Oh, how horrible! I'm so sorry to hear about Scoli :( .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #15 
iamntbatman

Aww man, I'm sorry to hear that.

If I were in your situation, I would have also lowered the water level to just a few inches. This makes it easier for a fish with torn fins to get to the surface to eat and breathe. Doubling your water change schedule also helps in healing injuries. However, sometimes the injures are just too great and the fish can't survive.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #16 
GuppyColorMaker

I've considered an Under-Gravel filter for my 1.5 gallon, soon to be my betta's new home. (heater and stuff will be added). Is that safe? Like one that goes in the back and blows bubbles.

I'm probably going to get one like this, but would it be safe for bettas?

Aquatic Gardens Undergravel Filters at PETCO

GuppyColorMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #17 
iamntbatman

You're not going to be able to find an undergravel filter for such a small tank. Some of those little tanks come with an undergravel filter already installed in them, but otherwise the smallest one I've seen for sale is for a 10g tank.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #18 
GuppyColorMaker

Well, I might get two ten gallons instead.
GuppyColorMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 AM   #19 
uluvsweetsdontu

I've spent HOURS online trying to learn as much as I can to be the best betta mom but I have learned so much from you all in such a short time. Thank you! I've never heard of a sponge filter. Is it like an airstone except a sponge instead? I guess it would have to be backwards? I didn't want to let my tank go so I put a couple of frogs in there (of course the filter is covered with nylon so they can't get sucked in). It appears that my maintenance was lacking so I am now doing water changes weekly. Also, Scoli had a curvature of the spine which made him very unique. I saw on a website the mention of 'culls' and 'straight bodies'. Is the curved spine a result of inbreeding? Is it very common?
uluvsweetsdontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #20 
iamntbatman

Some fish are simply born with curved spines. I'd be willing to bet that inbreeding increases the number of curved-spine fry, especially if done over many generations. It's hard to say how common it is. Most better fish stores won't sell fish with curved spines, so you don't see them in display tanks but that doesn't tell you how many were culled. Also, breeders try to cull the deformed fish before they make it to retailers. I've bred fish at home before, but all of them were from different lines so I've never had inbred fish and thus never had any with bent spines. I do breed feeder guppies for my fish to eat, and in the initial batch I got several with bent spines that went straight into my Jack Dempsey's stomach instead of into the breeding tank.

About sponge filters: basically, these are a tube with a base and slots along it with a sponge around it. Some require an airstone for operation, while others only require that you hook the airline tubing up to it. Basically, air is pumped to the bottom of the tube then rises up out of the tube. This creates a current of water up the tube, so water must be sucked in through the sponge material to replace it. As a result, the sponge becomes home to a large number of bacteria that convert your fish's waste into less harmful chemicals. Sponge filters can be more gentle than power filters but don't do as good a job at remove waste debris from the water. Also, if you have a really powerful air pump running the filter, they can create a lot of surface movement which might bug your betta. I think a better option is a power filter with an adjustable flow rate.

Tags
betta, filter, shredded fins