Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #1 
Agent13
Reference Team

Talking Blue lobsters!!

OMG I'm so happy. I went to my lfs which is very very awesome. I went to get some more cool shrimp for my big peaceful(ish) tank and right next to the black cherry shrimp I was buying was a bright cobalt blue lobster chowing down on some veggies. He was sooooo pretty I couldn't pass him up. Of course I can't put him with others as he will kill them while thy sleep. I am picking him up monday after I take one of my QT tanks and ready it for him(10g) but I will move him to a 30 nd maybe get 2 more. Anybody have any experience with keeping these guys? Not just the blue ones but any? I want to set it up this weekend and also get a good idea for the 30g set up for 3. They are soooo pretty
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I keep a self cloner (markosweb) crayfish... Definatly do not allow any non-dwarf in with fish. Or plants. Bascically, if they can eat it, they will destroy it. Crayfish are messy animals. One bonus though is that some species don't need heaters (not sure about blues).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 
Agent13
Reference Team

Yea.. Thats what they told me. I love plants. The only tank wthout plants is my African cichlid tank and it annoys me..lol. They rip up silk plants too ..brats! So I still plan to add plants from my another tank on occasion knowing they will be destroyed in no time. and absolutely no fish in there. I would love it if something..like anything?? could live with them but if not oh well. I have a feeling they may need a heater(I'll ask when I pick the first one up thanks for bringing that up.) and I have a few spares so it no prob. But geez what the heck do I put in there to make it pretty? They are so f-ing amazing looking i'll just put up with their needs. They don't even look real!

Oh..and MattsBettas. Do they prefer sand? What is yours on?

Last edited by Agent13; 05-31-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Mine is bare bottom right now, until I pick up gravel from a friend on here. They like to dig but they will be fine as long as they can hide (PVC pipe works great). Sand would probably be fine.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #5 
Agent13
Reference Team

Found one of them so you can see. Aren't they pretty. The store will order 2 more as I get ready and used to there needs. Interestig though. They claim on this site they are fine with ther fish but my instincts tell me to trust the store. They do massive tanks of all kids and custums build so I don't think this little $20 sale means much...except giving proper care. Looks like they do like to dig in sand. I can't wat. Perhaps I'll pick him up this weekend http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...41&pcatid=1641

Would it be wrong to put 1 or two fish in at first to see if tey are in fact friendly with any other fish?... I can handle a loss...hmm..

Last edited by Agent13; 05-31-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes... Putting a fish in with an aggressive animal that you have been told multiple times will kill fish is simply cruel.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

Yea, your right.
Unless I put him in my cichlid tank when finished...JUST KIDDING! lol I would ever do that with those jack @$$es of mine . Guess I jus figure a way to make in interesting for him and his future roomies. Maybe add one of another color..idk. I'll just have fun with decor and plan a concrete theme seeing as I can really plant this tank.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Crayfish are cannibals, so in order to keep multiple specimens you will need a large tank - larger than you have. Just stick with the one, or if you want, you can try keeping a pair. You can sex them by looking at their undersides - pictures are available on the Internet (easier for you to look them up than for me to explain).

As for keeping crayfish with fish - there are some options you have. Like you said, anything that sleeps near the bottom isn't going to last long. In my experience, barbs make excellent tank mates for crayfish. Danios do too. Also top water fish like golden wonder killis and African butterflies are safe.

Crayfish live in both warm and cold climates, so temperature is not very important.

Just make sure you have a good top - they are very good at escaping, though in my experience they only try to escape from small tanks.

Gravel or sand? Doesn't matter.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #9 
Chevko

How do you do things when it comes to cleaning time? Let them get used to your hands and then pick them up and put them in a temp container and siphon things out?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No... Don't touch them. Stresses them out and can be dangerous for you. Siphon around them.