Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #11 
jaysee
Reference Team

There's no need to handle them, but it's not a big deal if you do. You would just grab it by the carapace. But, there really is no need to handle it.

Crayfish shed their shells periodically - more frequently when they are younger. It's important to leave the shell in the tank for the crayfish to eat (they'll eat every piece). They will recycle nutrients that way. It's also good to feed them shrimp, live or dead. They get iodine and other important nutrients they need that way.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #12 
Agent13
Reference Team

Which tank is too small Jaysee? I know the Qt is too small. The Fish Room says they will thrive in a 30 and given enough hides they'd be fine. But I do have proper filters for larger just would need a tank then but that's cheap. A female male pair would be nice. What would you recommend size wise?
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would go with a 55 gallon (4 foot) for 2 crayfish. It may work fine in smaller tanks, but I give advice that is high probability for success. The smaller the tank, the more likely one is to kill the other. I think a 30 is too small for more than 1, but if you were inclined to try, I would try with a pair. As I mentioned before, you can grab them by the carapace and turn them over to check the sex.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #14 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
How do you do things when it comes to cleaning time? Let them get used to your hands and then pick them up and put them in a temp container and siphon things out?
They're not small at all they is noooo risk of them getting caught even in my larger water change siphon. I think to mess with my friends ill take a picture of it( not in the tank) and send it to them after I go down to the boat later this month haha. Ill alter the photo to look like it was either in the kitchen on the boat off the back of it
Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #15 
Agent13
Reference Team

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I would go with a 55 gallon (4 foot) for 2 crayfish. It may work fine in smaller tanks, but I give advice that is high probability for success. The smaller the tank, the more likely one is to kill the other. I think a 30 is too small for more than 1, but if you were inclined to try, I would try with a pair. As I mentioned before, you can grab them by the carapace and turn them over to check the sex.

Thanks .. That sounds good. Ill try to get a pair. I've never done pairs before but I would for this guy. I hv a filter for a 70g that's nice so that should be good for a 55ish. Should I look more for length seeing as the like the bottom ? ( seems that would make more sense.

Edit -Whats up with the smily face on this post

Last edited by Agent13; 06-01-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: retarded phone..??
Old 06-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #16 
Agent13
Reference Team

Oh..sorry for the thousand questions. I have live & frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp on hand for other aquatic pets. Are those good or do they like some other kind?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yeah, length is good. Those foods are a good addition to their diet. You can also add ghost shrimp to the tank. They will eat them over time.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #18 
Agent13
Reference Team

So 46 bow front for a pair it is! The 1st coming home is a girl . They're going to try to get a male for me soon. So an African butterfly looks cool. Ill try one of those too. Do they like groups or pairs? Sorry I'm on my phone and hard to look up. Is his tank big enough for that?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #19 
jaysee
Reference Team

Just to be clear, there still is a risk that one will kill the other. I'm curious to see what will happen, honestly.

African butterflies are cool to look at, but they are quite boring. They don't do much but sit there. I would get yourself a trio of golden wonder killis instead. They are FAR more interesting to watch and much more active.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #20 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Just to be clear, there still is a risk that one will kill the other. I'm curious to see what will happen, honestly.

African butterflies are cool to look at, but they are quite boring. They don't do much but sit there. I would get yourself a trio of golden wonder killis instead. They are FAR more interesting to watch and much more active.

Yea... I know there is a risk. They order them 1 at a time and I will only get it if it's a male. I know some will not like me saying I'm OK with the risk but after you start putting together an all male aggressive cichlid tank you sorta get OK with these thing(luckily no deaths yet!). But after picking her up to put her in the tank... frankly I feel bad for her. I took a good look and looks like someone nipped a bit of two of her legs(is that what you call them??lol) . She is really fun to watch all by herself really. So all in all I will not be completey sad if she is alone in the 46 but I'm open to getting the male if one comes along. At least I do have a good number of decent sized QT tanks for misbehaving ones. And on second thought I think if I do gt another I'd like to observe the personality first to see how it behaves. My girl is with a good sized barb right now and so far she just holds her claws up when it steals her food but she doesn't actually do anything about it (yet)

Also they didn't have on hand any African butterflies this week so I have time to decide. But MAN SHE IS PURDY! :)

(I skipped the 10g qt for her and just transfered the BB for a quick cycle on the 46)

Last edited by Agent13; 06-01-2013 at 11:14 PM.