Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #21 
jaysee
Reference Team

When a crayfish loses a limb, it grows back a little more after each molting of the shell until its back to normal.

People who are used to keeping Corys and tetras and all can sometimes freak out when they see aggression, but it's normal for certain kinds of fish. Anyone who mixes cichlids knows that aggression is normal, especially with Africans. You are right - some people are afraid to take any risks at all, but that shouldn't stop you from taking a calculated risk. If no one took risks, then we would not learn anything....

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #22 
RussellTheShihTzu

I've developed a real appreciation for inverts. If the bigger ones are as much fun to watch as my CPOs, you'll spend a lot of time gazing at her/their tank. How big do yours get? Are they the ones that get 5"? Or bigger?

Congratulations and post a photo when you can.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #23 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I've developed a real appreciation for inverts. If the bigger ones are as much fun to watch as my CPOs, you'll spend a lot of time gazing at her/their tank. How big do yours get? Are they the ones that get 5"? Or bigger?

Congratulations and post a photo when you can.
I'm trying! hahaha. She's camera shy. I have a decentish pic I just took but my phone made it blurry however when I get it upoaded tp photo bucket I'll share it anyway. You can still see how pretty she is with the blur. Then she went down one of the holes in her rock to explore right after that. She really is so cute to watch. She does like to dig and it's fun to watch her run out grab food then hide behind the rock to chow down. I'll post more tomorrow as well when maybe she'll be more settled.
Oh... and yes she's bigger. She is maybe 4-5 inches now and will get a little bigger
Yes, Jaysee...I get why people worry about the risks but I don't risk stuff for cruel reasons and I do my homework. I mean hell...I let my son go out and surf in the ocean at 5 and on his own at 7 and I had enough parents gasping when they saw him go out like I was a bad parent ( or my daughter snorkeling in open ocean at 3 before I got in with her). People get judged all the time. But I do appreciate anyones point of view and take it into consideration if I find it valid for my reasoning.
Glad to hear her legs will heal. I was hoping they would.
Agent13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #24 
Agent13
Reference Team

Well here she is. Super burry but you can still see her. From what I understand, RussellTheShihTzu...she can get maybe 6-8inches.

And here's her new home right after she his inside her rock ... I think I need to add more sand for her to dig in though. It's a work in progress.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #25 
jaysee
Reference Team

Looks like a rosy barb there - a species I have kept with crayfish with great success. I'd get more of them the blue lobster with the red barbs and yellow golden wonder killis will be quite a colorful tank.

Last edited by jaysee; 06-02-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #26 
Agent13
Reference Team

Yep. 'Tis what it is. Seems to have some serious balls if you ask me. Went straight between the pinchers to nab food. 1 day is too early to say but they look like they have an understanding.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #27 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yup, that's why barbs are good tank mates for crayfish. I was actually more worried about the crayfish.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVB7C9B3O4"]crayfish and tiger barbs - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by jaysee; 06-02-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #28 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Just... Don't be surprised if the other fish end up as crayfish food. The second they are sick or on the bottom of the tank for too long they are goners.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #29 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Just... Don't be surprised if the other fish end up as crayfish food. The second they are sick or on the bottom of the tank for too long they are goners.
I know. Well aware the "lobster"(crayfish lol) is opportunistic. I'll hope for the best and provide many hides and attempt real plants...well ones that don't get planted as I understand crayfish throw all that ish wherever they want haha. and if it turns to be a problem as mentioned before I do have an absurd amount of large QT tanks. I keep good watch.
I chose the barb because it is a better match then the average fish for this tank

Last edited by Agent13; 06-02-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would also recommend more hides in case of territorial disputes between the two crayfish. Even cheap terra cotta pots would work.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote