Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #1 
Pixierella

Cool New to BettaFish :)

Hello, I recently joined this site after going through and seeing lots of beautiful Betta's I do not have pictures to post yet but I have 4 males, a half-moon, a normal one, a double-tail half-moon, and a dragon scale. I am hoping to get a crowntail again soon as I have had them before but not at this time. I also have a 5 gallon Hex tank with 10 females of all different colors including one, I have named Duchess which is probably the biggest female I have ever seen. Pictures of all my lovelies to come later
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 
Alexanderismylife

Sounds like your a real betta lover :] Can't wait to see some pics! 10 females in a 5 gallon is a little too much I think though! I do think that bettas need a gallon per inch. So you might want to get a larger tank for your females so your 5 gallon isn't overstocked :] Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #3 
Adastra

Bettas really are like potato chips, huh? :) I hope we can get to see some pictures soon.

Do you really have 10 females in a 5 gallon hex, or was that a typo? I would never advise putting multiple females in anything smaller than a 10 gallon. Unfortunately, with this setup you are asking for injured or dead fish--not only because the tank is quite overstocked, because of the unique challenge posed by keeping such species-aggressive fish. Keep in mind that bettas were selectively bred to fight long before they were ever selectively bred for their looks. All bettas have an innate instinct to fight, even females--some females are just as aggressive as males. The aggression you'll witness in a sorority depends on the individual personality of the fish, as well as environmental factors, such as space and amount of decorations. The more of both, the better.

Because of this, even if the tank only had 2 females in it, it would still be a disaster waiting to happen. These fish need space to be able to run and hide from each other during territorial disputes, and a 5 gallon tank is simply too small. Please do more research on keeping a stable sorority and please please please consider separating out some of your girls until you can get a larger tank.

Rubbermaid/Sterilite plastic storage bins make excellent temporary containers, they're safe for fish, safe for heaters, and very easy to clean. In order to save on individual heaters you might want to set aside a room in your house to keep at 78-80 degrees until you can get a larger setup. For 10 females.. I would really consider getting a 20 gallon long tank. In a 10G they would probably still be a bit cramped, and in a 20 long you could even get a few dither fish. If you look on craigslist or kijiji you can find really good deals on used tanks.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-15-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 
Pixierella

Wink Not a typo

yes, I have 10 females all in the same 5 gallon hex tank with a large plant behind a castle with cubby holes. The first night before I got the decorations was kinda rough they were establishing heirarchy and there was nowhere for any of them to hide so one of them, her name is Queen B (for obvious reasons, she's my "Alpha" female) took a chunk out of Bitte's tale so getting some cover was imperative, now that it's in their all doing very well, they do have ones more aggressive than others but the less aggressive simply move out of the way. Before I got the added "cover" so to speak I would have been worried, but really, they are doing fine. If they weren't I would be more apt to get a larger tank. I got 7 to start with, lost 1 crowntail female that was small and sickly to begin with and then added 4 more, they've been doing great. I do understand your concern but really, they are doing quite well.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #5 
Adastra

Don't expect that to last--I'm sorry if I sound critical, but I'm really just trying to help you out. A sorority can be fine for weeks, months even, and then suddenly erupt into chaos. I have heard of it happening even in the most ideal of situations--but in this case, the tank is 350% overstocked from a biological standpoint, not only from a behavioral standpoint. You should seriously be doing at least two 50% changes a week. If the tank were properly stocked you should be doing maybe one 30% change a week. You're putting a lot of pressure on this setup in many ways--I seriously advise you to at least upgrade to a ten gallon, if not a 20. This is really not a good idea.

If you need more evidence of this fact, I suggest putting your information into this website form: http://aqadvisor.com/

Last edited by Adastra; 07-15-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #6 
kuklachica

The 5 gallon tank with 10 fish is overstocked. Even regardless of the behavior issues (which are a definite problem on the horizon) that tank cannot safely hold that many fish. Please seriously consider putting them in a larger (at least 15 gallon) tank.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of your boys and girls. Regarding your girls in the 5 gallon;
I have one male betta in a hex 5 sitting on my desk and I'm just looking at it trying to imagine 10 fish in it. Those tanks don't have much room. Their odd shape and 35gph filters don't provide the best water conditions and room for exploring for one fish. 10 territorial and aggressive fish is a disaster waiting to happen from both a behavioral and a bio-load standpoint. For everyone's sake (meaning yours and theirs) try to get them into a suitable tank as soon as you can.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #9 
Pixierella

Talking My Bettas :)

Hmm, not sure how to put wording in between photos so here's the rundown from top to bottom, Hope you can tell who is who from the others that may be in the pics with them...Ladies first: QueenB (My Alpha female), Danke, Bitte (named so partially because she looks like a smaller version of Danke but also because on the first night she got a chunk taken out of her tail by QueenB), Valentine, Pearl, Sumomo, Kotoko, Flare, Princess, and Duchess (My largest female, she's as big as my males). They all seem to be pretty good with each other, before I got the cover they were working on heirarchy but now they just kind of go towards each other a little aggressive but no more fights The only time they even get ancy with each other is during feeding time. The last 4 pics are my guys, Aries (Dragonscale) he wouldn't eat when I first got him for like 5 days, he didn't swim around much but he didn't seem to lose any weight and has perked up, he seems to be a pretty calm male although he does occasionally flare next is Dumbass (DT Half Moon), although I love my fish this guy did something not very smart when I first got him resulting in a vicious injury which thankfully is healing, I will rename him once I forgive him for his *sighs* brief mistake that caused me unneccessary worry, next is Gimpy (Standard Male), he's named this because he's my little crippled boy, he doesn't seem to be in any pain but he doesn't swim quite right but he's perked up since I got him, I couldn't resist cause he looked like he needed someone caring to give him a lil TLC and he's been doin great other than not swimming what I would consider normal. Finally there's Poseidon (ST Half Moon), he's been awesome since the first day, eating regularly and quite the active little boy
Attached Images

Last edited by Pixierella; 07-16-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #10 
Pixierella

Wink The New Guy

So yeah, it took me forever to get pics of all 10 females...oi yi yi, but I got em, that was before a 50% water change yesterday and you should have seen them, oh my goodness, they perked up and were having a blast (no fighting yay!) they were swimming all around and all of them wanted me to see them several of them got their black side stripes. The males pics were taken around dinner time yesterday afternoon/evening before I got this new guy (CT) He is yet to be named and unfortunately I hope to get a better pic but this is the one I have so far. He's really quite pretty, he has a dark body with hints of light purple in it, he has bright red tendrils that end in just the tiniest bit of black , then white at the tips on some but not all and then where they meet his body he has the same light purple with some black dotting like what I have seen on any "wild" bettas that I have seen so far. I almost got a Black Orchid, he was really dark blue and small, I may get him later, he was the last one they had so I may have to go rescue him
Attached Images

Closed Thread