Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #1 
justmel

Who should I spawn? (pic heavy)

Getting ready to start a new spawn (or two) and thought I'd ask all your opinions before I do as to who I should choose. I know VT's aren't advised to breed as they can't be shown and a lot of breeders aren't interested in them. VT's is what I have the most of and I have places to sell my fry (if no one here wants any first). SO, out of these boy & girls who would you spawn & with who? Feel free to make any comments or suggestions. I don't offend easily & I might learn something. Thank you for taking the time to look and give me your opinions. :)

If more or better pictures are requested of any of these bettas I will try and get them.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd like to see the second boy, Monster is his name? And one of the Chocolate girls, either Cocomama or Nyx! Minerva would be fine too. I'm in love with chocolates and mustard gas! I would be very interested in a Choc. or MG betta when you do breed, if you breed that combo :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #3 
justmel

I have a couple possible chocolate boys from the same lady I got Cocomama, Nyx, & Minerva from. All supposedly HMs, but all healing from fin rot when I got them. None of the boys look good yet so I don't know what I really got. If I end up with a couple good chocolates I did want to work on a chocolate line & if I do I will certainly give you a chance to pick a fry or two. Might have to give Monster a try with Cocomama (she has the most yellow) and see if anything good comes of it. Thank you for your suggestion lilnaugrim!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
I have a couple possible chocolate boys from the same lady I got Cocomama, Nyx, & Minerva from. All supposedly HMs, but all healing from fin rot when I got them. None of the boys look good yet so I don't know what I really got. If I end up with a couple good chocolates I did want to work on a chocolate line & if I do I will certainly give you a chance to pick a fry or two. Might have to give Monster a try with Cocomama (she has the most yellow) and see if anything good comes of it. Thank you for your suggestion lilnaugrim!
Sounds great! I actually want to see a good line of Chocolate/MG VT's, that would definitely be awesome, give a little more interest to the VT's. I know all we have around here are some reds, mostly blues and that multi coloration with a pink body and red/blue fins. That was what turned me off to VT's because it's literally the same spawn over and over again, so something a little more interesting would be exciting! And thank you :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #5 
Riverotter

I'd like to see what Mr. Fish produces with either Ao or Pele
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #6 
justmel

Thank you for your opinion Riverotter! It's much appreciated. You picked a couple of my favorite bettas & my daughters only girl as well. I started conditioning a few of these, but getting a chance to look at them closer & for longer periods of time I'm not totally sure what I am going to do. I have some new half giants coming next week sometime, so I think I might hold off awhile and see what I get in that shipment.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 
Riverotter

You're welcome! LOL, not sure how much it's worth, as I'm very new at considering bettas for breeding, but, to my untrained eye, those fish have really nice form, and I think the colors are those that mix well.
If I work up the courage to try shipping fish, I'd like to get some veiltails from members of this forum, so I'm really interested to learn and watch the babies grow.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Personally I would go for color. So I would pair male #1, 3, or 4 to female #3, 6, or 9. OR irid males to the other girls.

If you want a wide variety of colors, you could cross the light colored males to dark colored females (or vise versa) but it would be hard to clean their colors afterwards.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #9 
justmel

Thank you indjo, you know that I highly value your words of advice on breeding and many other things on here. I will look again at those you mentioned and narrow down my choices. (You will make my daughter very happy with your advice since 4 of the bettas you mentioned are hers.)

Riverotter, your opinion was exactly what I was asking for. I know that none of these are 'perfect' bettas and no one who shows them will likely be even remotely interested. The opinion of those of us that love these beautiful fish as pets is what I was mostly wanting since 99% of the fry will likely end up in pet shops. I will let forum members get first choice if they want any & likely for shipping costs only. I know you can get VTs from pet stores for less than shipping costs & I certainly don't want to break anyone.